Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

WELL!!! how rediculus/annoying

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by kathryn773, Apr 4, 2011.

1. kathryn773

kathryn773 PetForums VIP

daughters finacee has passed his car driving test today.... well done!

he has driven a moped, 3 yrs no claims built up on the moped, this counts for a big fat zero when he is now trying to insure the car to go on the road. (car been parked on his drive whilst learning)

2. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

I wish him luck getting insurance, its one of the many things that have put me off even learning to drive :nono:

3. rcmadd

rcmadd PetForums VIP

im sure if he hunts around he will find a broker that takes moped no claims.. i am a moderator on a moped forum ill go ask there and get back to you.

#3 rcmadd, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  4. kathryn773

kathryn773 PetForums VIP

thank you!

5. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

I have had a full bike licence for nearly ten years, squeaky clean. I can get insured on bikes for as little as £90 annually :D

But when it came to passing my car test and getting insured, I was quoted £1,200 as the cheapest :eek::blink:

Cars and bikes are different, I would be surprised if any car insurance companies accepted no claims bonuses for a bike, or vice versa

6. kathryn773

kathryn773 PetForums VIP

only 1,200!!! he has just been quoted 5,000

7. Itis horrendous the cost of insurance for new drivers these days!
    But apartfrom the highway car riding a moped and driving a car is oceans apart, there is no comparrison hence I would expect the reason for the accumulated insurance counting for nothing.

8. kathryn773

kathryn773 PetForums VIP

has been a road user, aware of other road users, more alert than many car drivers, self preservation.
    the junctions and and road markings are not different for either.

9. rcmadd

rcmadd PetForums VIP

you find after riding for x amount of time.. it makes for a better driver.

the only reply up to now has said aviva as a possability..(they a slow lot this lot)..

10. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

I found that Admiral has been good with my car insurance... Surely having moped no claims should lower insurance?

11. kathryn773

kathryn773 PetForums VIP

will pass aviva possibility on, thanks

12. As do bicycle riders! no one is disputing that the person is alert and more then familiar with road markings etc, And as for the preservation - that says it all really - you pull out at a junction early, or jump traffic lights on a bike it is yourself that you are going to harm! you do that in a car and the life of others are put in danger and then their is that financial damage that can be done if you hit a high value vehicle It is unlikely albeit not impossible that anyone is going to write off an high value vehicle with a bike, but hit it with a small car and thats a different kettle of fish . I maintain that driving a car compared to riding a bike where insurance is concerned is miles apart!

13. kathryn773

kathryn773 PetForums VIP

i shall not go down the argument today regarding all the cars that pull out in front of bikes!
    my way of driving is to be aware of other road users, not whether my car will do more or less costly damage on what i hit!

14. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

I`m a 27 year old female... it really should be cheaper lol
    I can understand young males getting quoted ridiculous amounts tho... not saying your daughters fiancee is ... but most young males are boy racers and according to insurance companies,they are more likely to have an accident, hence the hefty prices.

My brother is nearly 30 and he too has a bike licence, but his paying something like £2,000 still, its madness

15. Awh! now who is going down the arguement route? where is the arguement? You posted a perfectly normal question! I replied with an perfectly honest and normal reply.
    You asked a question!
    You go a reply!
    Where is the problem?
    Or is is we all have to agree with Kathryn week?

#15 DoubleTrouble, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2011
  16. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

riding a bike is nothing like driving a car so i dont think they should take moped insurance into account.

17. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

My eldest son had a full motorbike licence before passing his car test at 21. He found one company that would accept his motorbike no claims, I think it was Tesco? I know car insurance has gone up a lot in recent years though. My youngest, who passed his car test at 17 (now 18) pays over £2,500 - well technically we pay it and he pays us back a little each week :rolleyes::

18. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

I think its better to get your license even if you don't drive because then number of years you've had your license goes up and brings premiums down when you do decide to drive.

I wouldn't have expected car insurance companies to accept bike no claims tbh.

19. ClaireLouise

Car insurance is a rip off. Car Insurance company are sneaky and underhanded not only over charging the customer but crippling garages.

20. All insurance is a rip off Claire, I think if all of us added up the total cost of all insurance we had paid over the years we would be gobsmacked!

My uncle -who is quiet a wealthy man in his eighties has always claimed that he does not believe in insurance and he only has that which he 'legally' has to have i.e car insurance. OK - he is one of the fortunate ones who could and will pay if he had any disasters -but yep! I have to agree it is Dick Turpin without need of a mask!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice