Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Well, can't please everyone, obviously.....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by 8tansox, Apr 1, 2017.

1. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

For over a year now, a few of us friends / clients have been talking about organising a group dog walk between us. First of all it was what day of the week would suit us most, then whether it would be a morning / afternoon or all day affair. It was narrowed down to a walk the first Tuesday morning of each month... So it was scheduled for next week's Tuesday. I've done a dry run of a beautiful walk in some woods not far from us; took us about 1.5 hours, gorgeous woodland, points of views, seats, caves and bridges etc. and it's central to most of us, with a dog friendly pub half a mile away... Sounds perfect for dog walkers doesn't it? I thought so too... So far, one person has to leave at mid day, another one can't make it at all and one doesn't want to walk in mud... I sometimes wonder why I bother, I'm the ONLY one working, the others have either retired or don't work at all, yet I've co-ordinated everyone and I just feel meh... why have I bothered???? Apologies for the rant!

2. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

How can you take a dog for a really interesting walk and not get in mud? That makes no sense.

Katalyst likes this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Can I come? As long as it's not a 5 hour drive ...

Katalyst likes this.
  4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Sorry I shouldn't laugh but that's so typical.

The breeder of my puppy has a Facebook page and one of the owners suggested a get together during the Summer. Given the dogs/puppies are spread the length of the UK and beyond I'm sure you can imagine the scenario. They couldn't even decide on a month........LOL Needless to say it's not going to happen.

leashedForLife likes this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

it happens with every activity, everyone is mad keen for it, a responsible person makes the arrangements and most people back out. Drives me mad as I am often the let down organiser though I tend to stand back a bit now and not be so quick to volunteer.

bogdog and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Can understand your frustration.
    I've tried to organise things between me and only one other person, gave up.

Sounds a lovely walk.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I used to make an effort with other people - I've given up with most of them tbh ;)

8. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

People are rubbish! I've decided not to organise a 30th birthday party for my OH (and she has asked me not to) based purely on the fact that too many people have let us down last minute at previous parties. It's incredibly infuriating! I do wonder if it's partly a modern-day thing where people can't be bothered to meet up anymore when it's so much easier to just communicate on social media.

I'd come walking with you and very happy to get muddy - just give the pooch a blast with the hosepipe afterwards ;)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Wow - do you have a warm water hosepipe (i need one for my little diva)? :eek:

10. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

No, but if it's cold I stick her in the shower. It's downstairs so doesn't involve treading mud all through the house. Holly adores the hosepipe. Every time we go outside she waits by it looking hopeful that it might come on.

ForestWomble and leashedForLife like this.
  11. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

massochist!

12. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Hahaha you put 'sadist' originally and I thought "OMG people think I get pleasure out of inflicting pain on my dog!" - I was glad you changed it. Yeah she is a masochist - always banging her head on things and throwing herself around. Loves a smack around the face from the cat too!!

13. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I know - kicking myself and blaming cold remedy (see general chat for full embarrassment details) :Banghead

Just lost it for a second there ...

Sairy likes this.
  14. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Freudian slip ...?

Sairy likes this.
  15. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Haha yes I tend to make those a lot!

16. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

That's the sort of thing I would love - a beautiful walk with responsible dog owners.

When I lived in the UK I made it to 3 group walks that us PFers arranged.

17. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Do any PF walks get organised these days?

18. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

There hasn't been one for a while I don't think. Most of the people I met up with aren't on the forum anymore. Nothing to stop you organising one :)

Sairy likes this.
  19. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

That's the surprising thing though isn't it! Everyone thought it was a great idea... fizzled out a bit and I am definitely not going to organise May's...

Lurcherlad likes this.
  20. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Why not keep it less organized. Set a time and a day. Daily, weekly, twice weekly, whatever. Whoever shows up, on time, goes on the walk. My sister used to have a group like that. She no longer has her Nala (she's an Angel now), and but she still speaks of her dog walk group. She didn't go every morning, nor did many others. She never knew from one day to the next who the group would consist of, but they were all friendly, socializing only for that hour, not at any other time in their real life. Just at that time.

Sometimes she walked alone, sometimes there were three or four, sometimes there were seven or eight..well you get the idea.

If you really feel the need to...arrange...send an e mail or text reminder the night before that goes out to everyone you think might be interested. Then show up yourself and see who else does.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice