Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

well as you know

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by laurajoshua05, Apr 25, 2011.

1. laurajoshua05

laurajoshua05 PetForums Junior

i had to have my ella bella put to sleep last week i went to look round rehoming kennels and fell in love with a collie cross she was so loving bad mistake going there just to look lol as we now have brought her home a few questions do u think i should tell people as im so worried people would think im heartless but a dog is deffently helping with the pain and 2nd is what should i feed her on is chappie good enough as thats what she was on wet and dry mixed have brought a bag of superdog but some1 has chappie is good enough any ideas thanks
    many thanks for all your support laura

2. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Everyone deals with grief in different ways.

I started looking for another Great Dane very quickly because we all including my other pets were absolutely lost when Brooke died.

You did what was best for your pet because you didn't want it to suffer - you then decide to give a home to a dog that needs it - no-one could say you were heartless - quite the contrary. Hold your head up high and don't feel guilty.

Good luck with your new baby. :)

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Of course it has to be your final decision when to tell people, but personally I wouldnt think you are heartless. Im sure your Ella Bella, had a wonderful life with you and knew she was loved, she will always be in your heart and memories and no one will ever replace her as she was unique. Every dog is different, and you love each as much for who they are. Its a good thing you have done giving this dear little dog a much needed loving home.

I pretty sure a few people on here feed chappie at least as part of their dogs diet and if I remember rightly at least one even has digestive problems and gets on well with it. One thing you will need to watch though especially on top of rehoming is sudden abrubpt change of food can give them an upset tum and loose motions. It is really better if you make any change over a week
    using a bit more of the new and a little less of the old every day really.

4. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Sorry should have said I don't have experience with either of those brands of food but if you decide to change do it slowly.

5. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Congratulations on the new dog- we need pics though.:)

6. laurajoshua05

laurajoshua05 PetForums Junior

thankyou very much for all your kind words ill put some pics on tomoz

7. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Would love to see the pics that would be great. Lots of luck with the new addition.x

8. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I couldn't even think about another dog for a few months after I had my collie put down, but a friend went out a few days after loosing her dog as she couldn't bare to be without a dog. It's a very very personal thing and nobody should think you heartless, or 'replacing the dog'. You've given another dog a loving home, there's nothing heartless about that. Good on you.

As for food, chappie wet is great for sensitive tums, the dry is pants (to be blunt lol). If her tum is okay I would consider moving her over to a good quality food, Arden Grange, Simpsons, Wainwrights, Orijen, Arcana, Taste of the wild, Skinners (the hypoallergenic duck and rice or salmon and rice ones) etc. Or if you're after wet food, wainwrights, nature diet, natures harvest, natures menu (all of those wet foods are available at pets at home).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice