Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Welcoming a kitten with a toddler

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by TwilightSiren, Oct 12, 2020.

1. TwilightSiren

TwilightSiren PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone, I'm new here. On Saturday evening I brought home a sweet kitty. She is 12 weeks old and seems very gentle and sweet. I live with my husband and 2.5yr old son.

I've kept her upstairs and given her the spare room with the door open, I slept with her on the first night and we have bonded quickly. However she has never met a child before, so it's really scary for her to see my son. I'm trying to take it slowly for her and have kept my son away from her, apart from this morning when she ventured downstairs for the first time with me whislt hubby and son slept. When my son woke up she hid and was shaking, even though my son is extremely gentle with animals and he called her name and offered her a treat, but as she was so scared I took her back upstairs and settled her before coming back down.

I'm a stay at home mum, so am always around but just wondering if anyone had tips on helping her not be so scared? She's currently meowing for me, but I can't go to her as my son is downstairs... So I've been running up and down to try and soothe them both seperately. It's not been very long since we got her, but just want to see if anything can help? Thank you

white_shadow likes this.
  2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Toddlers by their very nature (!) tend to be on the noisy side which can be very intimidating to a small animal. As adults we know to be quiet and to move slowly around baby animals but children need to be taught these things.

I'd suggest letting your son and the kitten inhabit the same room together for short, supervised periods - let your son play quietly (at floor level) and tell him to ignore the kitten. At the same time you could play with and/or cuddle the kitten so that she can get used to him. After a few days of this maybe get your toddler to "help" you to feed her and gentle offer her toys - string type toys pulled across the floor usually awaken a kitten's curiosity - she needs to start to associate him with good things. Once she's used to his presence then you can start to let him gently pet her whilst she is on your lap.

My own cat (age 11) is still very wary and nervous around small children as had some bad experiences in his previous home - unfortunately the parents of the toddlers involved didn't think it necessary to teach their children that animals are not toys with the result that when Bertie decided he'd had enough of being tossed around and having his tail pulled he lashed out at the children. Result ? they got rid of the cat :(

Issy Fleetwood likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice