Weird Tail

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Siameezers, May 16, 2018 at 2:09 PM.

1. Siameezers

Siameezers PetForums Junior

So I messed up..

I took a week off work, as I have done with the other two litters. I took rectal temps as I have done in the past and on the 10th her temp was 37.8, so I was up every hour and a half checking for two nights. The third night I slept on the floor by the birthing pen with my hand in it (I had to get a pen because her first litter she decided my bed was the spot to have her kittens), up every hour. By the 4th night I was exhausted... like really freaking exhausted. So I curled up beside her pen, hand in for comfort and decided that I would just shut my eyes for an hour, alarm set. I thought that I would hear her or feel her move if she started having the kittens. I was wrong.
    I woke up 2 minutes before my alarm to the sound of a kittens cry. One kitten was pushed toward the front of the pen and was dead, she had chewed the umbilical cord so close there wasn't anything left and the kitten has a hole in it's stomach The one kitten that was crying was fine and another was born shortly after. So we have two healthy kittens, which I am thankful for but the first one has me gutted, because I should have been awake to monitor her...

I noticed one of the kittens has notches in his tail, like it almost looks like something was wrapped around it so tightly that it cut in and caused a scab. There was nothing in the pen that could have caused this, and I have never seen this before...

They have gained 14-15 gram each since yesterday morning

Attached Files:

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Sorry that you lost one of the kittens :( but best wishes for the remaining two.
    The umbilical cord could have been wrapped around the little one's tail or maybe mum has accidentally bitten it in mistake for the cord. I would keep an eye on it in case of infection and bathe with warm saline solution.

Siameezers likes this.
  3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

In humans there is a condton called amniotic band syndrome , where the membranes wrap round a digit such as hands, feet, fingers, toes, sometimes leading to full amputation before birth. That's what it looks like to me , and quite superficial so should heal OK.
    So sorry about the lost kitten , you're only human. I hope the others thrive.

Siameezers and lymorelynn like this.
  4. Siameezers

Siameezers PetForums Junior

Thank you for your replies. I will definitely keep an eye on it, I have never heard amniotic band syndrome but that very well could be what it is.