Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Weird question

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Whompingwillow, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Whompingwillow

Whompingwillow PetForums VIP

Does anyone meow to their cats?

I admit I do, sometimes just to mimic them (mojo when he doesnt stop meowing, if you can call it that) or as a way of chatting back. But the one I mean: There is one specific meow that saffi responds to. She comes running and throws herself in a lying down position and requests neck scratches etc
    I have a video, which I am contemplating embarrassing myself by uploading it here, here is the photo instead for now
    39940904-60E4-4C1C-8F95-DEEA5EE63FB2.jpeg
    She was pottering about in an upright position before I did the meow. Hahaha . I wonder what I am saying!

Any other weirdos who chat to their cats in their language, or try to?

Emmasian, huckybuck, AmsMam and 7 others like this.
  2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

When I was a child, I did sometimes to my aunt and uncles cats. It would be an adult female that responded and would come running if she heard. It was a female that had had kittens, not sure if that made a difference but maybe.

I was laughing at something I read the other day and could not stop for a bit. I was sitting on the couch and it brought Biggles to investigate. He seemed a bit worried and came up by my shoulder.

Edit, by the way a pretty pic of Saffi.

3. Whompingwillow

Hehe bless him for being concerned, When I cough saffi gets very concerned too! She comes running and starts licking me - I do mostly talk to them in my language but occasionally I will meow lol there is one specific one that gets saffi all soppy! And so I cant help but use it :oops:

Animallover26, Lisa2701 and Summercat like this.
  4. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum PetForums VIP

Bertie miaows a LOT ! if I miaow back we can end up having quite a long conversation :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: and if I sneeze or cough he runs off in disgust rather than checking that I'm OK :D:D

(I have read that cats only miaow to us humans, they don't 'talk' to each other that way but use body language mostly)

5. Whompingwillow

Haha yes, I think with mojo , sometimes he drives me so mad with his high pitched howling, meowing back is for my own sanity. He would also run away in disgust rather then act concerned like your Bertie!

I read that too about cats, that they save the meows for humans, but we met a cat out on the lead a while ago, a ginger scottish fold and they were meowing (screaming) away at each other - both such funny characters!! (Mojo then smacked him in the face and they went on their way - on a a seperate note it was very unusual to see another cat on a lead in my area)

6. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I do a sort of mamamamama noise to Teddi (in my avatar) and he comes running up and does the same noise. No idea what it means.

Whompingwillow likes this.
  7. NFC slave

NFC slave PetForums Senior

I chirrup to mine and they answer me, conversations can be quite long at times, dread to think what we are saying to each other!

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

My cats get quite worried if I miaow at them. They either rush up to me with big saucer eyes, or they start looking around the room for the strange cat, lol! Either way they don't seem to like it. So I chirrup at them instead and they reply. :)

9. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

I think I will practice chirruping:Cat

10. Animallover26

Animallover26 I am me.

I used to.

I sometimes meow at my dog and the look of disgust he gives me makes me laugh :D

11. Whompingwillow

I wonder if saffi gets worried , I have never seen it as worry, she does come running and gets a bit needy and soppy - I always thought it was quite cute! But maybe she doesnt like it? I like chirruping at them too :) That is too cute that they reply! I might try that, maybe I can teach mojo how to talk softly... lol

sandy-cat likes this.
  12. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I used to but now I don't in case I'm saying something offensive in cat speak ;)

13. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Did you make arrangements to meet up again?;)

14. sandy-cat

sandy-cat PetForums Member

Sandy is so chatty that I often talk back to him in a sort of "miaowy" tone of voice if that makes sense! :D We have some very lengthy conversations....

15. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Oscar is my little Grime artist...he does a funny little, "Brrrraaap" - especially when it's feeding time! I repeat it back to him. I have no idea what it means. Hehe. He does a lot of chirruping and the only time he meows is for food or to tell us that he's used his tray and it's time for the slave to remove the offending deposit please.

16. Whompingwillow

Yes but we never followed it through! Haha
    Actually though the main reason on my part is their cat looked unhappy on a lead. We both noted how much more comfortable and confident mono seemed outside and on a lead then theirs so I am hoping they stopped it. But the meeting was one of the funniest I have ever seen (i also don't take him to that public bit anymore and I didn't think it was good for mojo to invite this stranger cat into his territory as it would be less safe for him. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw another cat on a lead. It's very unusual!!)

17. Fred&KiKi

Fred&KiKi PetForums Member

me, my partner and KiKi have long shouting meow matches from the kitchen (us) to the end of the garden (KiKi) it can go on for ages, if we stop she does a huffy little meow and wiggle of her tail and strops off as if we ended our convo half way through lol!

18. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

I meow at Huck when we have an argument lol - if he gets stroppy with me and does his shouty long meow I copy him and do the same back - then he gets really annoyed and huffs at me so I huff back (but by then I usually get up from what I am doing and go and do what he wants lol).

19. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Christmas presents

I don’t meow but do little sounds a bit like a MC chirp. Very short sounds.

20. Whompingwillow

I do that with mojo too! Hahaha

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice