Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Weird letter from Talk Talk

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GoldenShadow, Mar 24, 2011.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

We've had a letter sent demanding we pay Talk Talk the £50 we owe them. Apparently they have tracked us down to this address, well a creditor company have Talk Talk have obviously sold the debt to them or something.

We've never been with Talk Talk, is it likely to be SPAM or that they've got us down as other people :confused:

2. Gilly and Jess

Gilly and Jess PetForums Senior

God knows, ring em up and tell em straight!

Flippin' cheek!!

3. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

Write to them saying this is one option.............

Request for a copy of the Original Credit Agreement under the Consumer Credit Act 1974

Dear Sirs,

Account No:

I hereby formally request a copy of my Consumer Credit Agreement, pursuant to s.77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

I require you to provide me with a true copy of the credit agreement relating to any account you deem to be mine, together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide. I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit (12 + 2 days). You are reminded that should you fail to comply with my request; the provisions of s.77 will apply.

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that an assignment is of both rights and duties.

Your attention is drawn to ss.5(2), 3(b),6 and 7 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPUTR). I enclose a personal cheque in the sum of £1.00, which is the statutory fee. Note that these funds are not to be used for any other purpose.

If you are unable to comply fully and properly with this request, you should confirm this in writing at the earliest opportunity, and certainly within the statutory time limit for compliance, and return the fee and then remove the incorrect entry from your systems.

I do, expect the main actions to be dealt with, as matter of course, and look forward to hearing from you within the prescribed timescales quoted.

Yours faithfully

Sign digitally

4. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

Wait had another thought :)

5. They have just got you mixed up with another person of the same name or date of birth! It has happened to me twice!

Apparantly I am an ex landlady who was made bankrupt in August 2008:eek::eek:

6. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

Do this letter, it will save you sending £1.00 like you would with the other.

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to Talk Talk.

I am are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading's Guidance on debt collection, which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. AND in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods. Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to Trading Standards and also inform the Office Of Fair Trading of your actions.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

7. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

Talk Talk used to be Tiscali, have you ever been with Tiscali. If so how long ago, cos I may have more ammo for you lol

8. GoldenShadow

We used to be with F2S who I think got taken over by Talk Talk but when we moved here we totally cancelled our contract and it was all settled and done, and that was with Freedom2Surf stamped on the letters no mention of Talk Talk etc...

9. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

How long ago?

10. Gilly and Jess

Wow! Jamie, I'm hiring you when I need a good solicitor, lmao!!

You have one hell of a way with words!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

It's all from being a victim in the past and learning the guidelines and harrassment law. Those letters above are templates available online. I love fighting debt collection agencies. Rang one today on behalf of a friend and ripped the agent a new bum hole lol

12. Gilly and Jess

Addaboy!! :D :D :D

13. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

If you left F2S over 6 years ago, then you could use this letter. As once a period of 6 years of no contact from the creditor it becomes illegal to chase the person for that debt

To:

Without prejudice

Dear Sir/Madam

Account No:

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5:

“An action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued”.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that:

“It is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period”.

The last correspondence/payment or acknowledgement of this debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from me/us in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, I/we suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against me/us to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that:

“Continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment contrary to section 40 (1) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970”.

I/we await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

(Your signature)

14. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

Also who are the Debt Collection Agency now looking after the debt? Wonder if I have experience of telling them their mistakes etc :lol:

15. BeagleOesx

BeagleOesx PetForums VIP

We've been getting letters recently to our address but for people who don't even live here & never have! We have had at least 4 in as many weeks, each time I have googled the companies they have come from & contacted them to advise these people don't live here.

It is worrying to think someone may be using our address or that they may just be scam letters.

I definitely would look into this Talktalk thing further though.

16. tjk

tjk PetForums Senior

also could this be a con? just after your account details ?

17. GoldenShadow

Cor thanks for all those templates :D

People called 'Zinc Recoveries'.

I don't know its saying call us on ________ so we will find out tomorrow..!

18. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

Ah my little friends from Glasgow :lol:

Loads of Debt Collection Agencies who have been in trouble with Office of Fair Trading hide behind name changes or different names. Zinc is one of them they are/were also known as Ultimate Credit Services Ltd :tongue_smilie: also known as GH 145 LIMITED

19. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

oh and they have also been known as Complete Credit Consultancy Limited :lol:

20. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

Here is an interesting post from another forum........

Ultimate Credit Services went into administration in 2009 – but one of the directors of that company has set up another debt collection agency (along with some other people) called the Zinc Group – and many of the letters they send out are headed Zinc Collections. They are effectively all part of and connected to a company called Complete Credit Consultancy. All of this is confusing and makes it more difficult for those being contacted by this company to know who it is they are dealing with. Zinc are based in and operate out of Glasgow and Complete Credit Consultancy is registered at an address in Stratford on Avon – though I understand that this is simply a registered address and no one from this company actually operates from there. So the people calling and writing to members of the public are Glasgow based.

I have had experience of these companies harassing my family for debts which they do not owe. They are in my opinion a very dodgy outfit and having a look through various websites suggest that they may have upset many people. I believe that they break many of the Office of Fair Trading guidelines, but appear not too worried – after all, these guidelines have no legal status – i.e. they are not (necessarily) breaking the law by not following these guidelines and breaching these guidelines can only really be used to revoke their operating licence – this would appear at first to a major deterrent for debt collection agencies not to transgress these guidelines. But, it is often difficult to prove that they have been breached (these people know every trick in the book) and in any case I believe that last year only two debt collection agencies actually lost their operating licence. A tiny amount when you consider that these guidelines are widely flaunted and broken.

Most people being chased by debt collection agencies probably do genuinely owe money. But I have evidence that Zinc chase people who are innocent and do not owe debt. I don’t know if they do this to try and flush out the real debtor (should that be a relative of the innocent party) or if they simply try to harass people into paying in order to bring an end to their torment. As it stands, the law does not appear to adequately protect people from companies such as Zinc. By challenging their behaviour in these forums it may be possible to build up support to have them properly dealt with. The current law and regulation can work sometimes – but it needs people who are determined to bring a case that will stand.

Highlighted parts that tie into your situation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice