UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a relatively new dog, just a few days. I went to the vet and they will probably do some tests, but maybe someone here is familiar with this problem. She seems healthy in every other way and is fine, can move, run, etc.

The problem is she has a sort of a weird caugh that is turning into vometing. She only vomits nothing or water. She never vomits her food, even if she just ate recently. It doesn't sound or look like regular vomiting, but sort of a coughing like when a person has something in their throat. Water is coming out usually if she drank recently but otherwise it is usually nothing (or sometimes a bit of water).

This happens an average of twice a day for a few days now. I'm pretty sure it didn't happen the fist day she was here, maybe once the second day and then about twice for the few more days I have her.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Actually I think that's one thing the vet mentioned as a possibility (not English here but I think it is the same). Symptoms seem mostly the same as what I found about Kennel Cough. She also sneazes a bit, but not every day, and about once or twice a day.

Hard to say, but it seems mostly random. It is more likely to happen after she is drinking water, but not necessarily. What I mean is, from the approx ten times she has done this now, I'd say three or maybe even four were right after she was drinking water.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Some dogs just cough randomly anyway particularly after drinking etc. How old is your dog? If it is kennel cough then normally there isn't too much to worry about unless they are old, young or in poor health, but it is highly contagious so best to keep them away from other dogs. Honey (manuka if you have it) will help soothe the throat.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Hi

I have a relatively new dog, just a few days. I went to the vet and they will probably do some tests, but maybe someone here is familiar with this problem. She seems healthy in every other way and is fine, can move, run, etc.

The problem is she has a sort of a weird caugh that is turning into vometing. She only vomits nothing or water. She never vomits her food, even if she just ate recently. It doesn't sound or look like regular vomiting, but sort of a coughing like when a person has something in their throat. Water is coming out usually if she drank recently but otherwise it is usually nothing (or sometimes a bit of water).

This happens an average of twice a day for a few days now. I'm pretty sure it didn't happen the fist day she was here, maybe once the second day and then about twice for the few more days I have her.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
Does it sound like this?

Dixon has kennel cough - YouTube

If so its kennel cough, she may have been inclubating it when you got her
opinions seem to vary on the incubation period from anything from a few days to a couple of weeks.

If you got her from a kennel then likely shes picked it up in there it can be quite common in some kennel environments and its contagious so easily caught if they have been in contact with an affected dog. Usually most dogs seem to have no effects apart from the irritating coughing its an upper respiratory tract infection. However as you can get seconday bacterial infections that can effect the eyes and nose as well usually seen as a discoloured discharge and the infection can go down to the lower respiratory tract and infect the lungs etc, usually its best to get it checked out and a lot of vets will prescribe antibiotic cover to stop it going further as a precaution.

To help with the irritating cough there is things that you can do, this link should give you more advice on this and more information on Kennel cough in general.

Kennel Cough Symptoms & Treatment - Kennel Cough Help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes, it sounds very similar to that. About half the times she will "vomit" pretty clean water but I think that is only if she just drank water recently. Yes she came from a kennel. I really suspect this is it. Thanks for the link, I will read and go to the vet again.

In general, should it pass after some time or is it a chronic issue?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
They can get kennel cough from anywhere not just a kennel. Its a bit like our whooping cough the spitty sick at the end is usual. A lot of dogs are just a bit of colour and don't need a lot of treatment just keep them warm in the house and away from other dogs.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Yes, it sounds very similar to that. About half the times she will "vomit" pretty clean water but I think that is only if she just drank water recently. Yes she came from a kennel. I really suspect this is it. Thanks for the link, I will read and go to the vet again.

In general, should it pass after some time or is it a chronic issue?

Thanks again.
It normally just passes a lot of the time without incident, but you can get secondary complications/problems sometimes, usually pups and old dogs can be higher risk, but any dogs can get secondary infection or complications then it can cause serious problems. So always wise to get it checked and as mentioned a lot of vets give antibiotics to prevent further infection/complications. its not just caught from a kennel environment but if a dog is brought in with it it can spread easily through a kennel.

You will find that she probably has a bout after getting excited, jumping about and running about especially that tends to bring on a bout of coughing.
They do usually just bring up fluid or a mucos thats white or clear at the end of a bout, obviously if the mucus is yellow/green or there is discharge from the nose the same colour then there is secondary infection which is more serious. It is as mentioned very contagious, so you will need to tell your vet you suspect kennel cough they will usually give you a last appointment so the surgery is clear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi again

I just thought to update. I changed the collar and gave her antibiotics like the vet recommended (though he didn't think it was kennel cough, but wasn't sure) and after a few days her cough was mostly gone and she seemed much better and healthier. It is now a couple of weeks later and here she is :)

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.