Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

weird behaviour

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Blitz, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I was walking along a river path today when I saw a man a reasonable distance away with a dog on the lead. I was just about to call mine back when I saw him let it off the lead and it ran towards mine. He turned round and walked the other way calling his dog. The dogs met up, had a sniff, the humans exchanged pleasantries and we carried on our separate ways. But I am lost as to his thinking.

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Maybe he knew there were no creatures to chase because you were there, so felt safe to let the dog off lead

Blitz and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Practising recall from a situation with distractions?

4. Little P

Little P PetForums VIP

Washed walking away from you? Maybe he didn't realise you were there

Blitz and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Maybe his dog gets defensive when on-lead so he thought best to let it off lead?

adamantis, Blitz and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

He failed totally then.

He was walking towards us, looked straight at us, stopped and took the lead off then turned and walked away while his dog ran towards us, then he stopped and waited till we passed him and dogs had had a good sniff and carried on the way he had originally been going.

That was my first thought but why turn round and walk the opposite way when his dog was already coming towards ours.

It just seemed so illogical. Not that it mattered, all the dogs were friendly and so was he and so were we.

Lurcherlad, Wilmer and Sairy like this.
  7. rona

rona Still missing my boys

To give it more off lead time

Blitz likes this.
  8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

So why not walk away from us or wait till we had passed by before letting it off the lead - especially as he had been walking in a quiet area and was just approaching the busier bit of the path and after we had gone by he carried on the way he had originally been going with the dog off lead towards the busier area. It really does not matter though.

9. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Antisocial and wanted to reduce the risk of having to engage in a conversation with you while the dogs were meeting? Maybe he thought he recognised you as someone he didn't like then realised he was mistaken :)

Blitz likes this.
  10. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

I do let izzy off if there are dogs approaching just because her guard goes up when she's on lead. I also walk away so she'll follow after she's had a quick sniff. Sounds totally like something I'd do.

Maybe he didn't know you were going to put yours on lead.

Blitz likes this.
  11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

He could not have known me as we were stopping off on a long journey to give the dogs a run.

12. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Maybe that's his normal walk then and he saw no reason to change just because there was a stranger there.

13. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

erm, so every day he walks his dog by the river on the lead. Suddenly stops and lets it off and while it runs on in the direction he was going he turns round, goes 6 paces, stops and turns back, waits for his dog to greet other dogs and carries on in his original direction. Always possible I suppose.

I wish I had never said anything about it, all I can say is there must be a lot of odd people around if they think that is a normal thing to do. And considering what a major crime it seems to be to let your dog run up to other dogs I am amazed at the excuses that have been made for him.

14. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

You've already stated it wasn't an issue for you though & in various threads on similar topics you tend to be quite vocal about how you don't agree with not allowing dogs to meet/kept on lead/away from other dogs etc. So perhaps the replies were just in keeping with you thinking it's ok. Am sure someone else would have come on here and had a massive rant about this man and would have gotten different responses.

15. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It really was not an issue, it was just an incredibly weird thing to do. If the dog had been off lead and run up to greet our dogs then it would have been a non event. If he had let it off and called out that he was doing it because it was better off the lead it would have been a non event. If he had let it off absent mindedly then spotted us and walked in the opposite direction with the dog following it would have been a non event. And yes, I think it is a great shame that there are so many people in here (far less in real life) who do not like their dogs to meet others or have a bit of freedom, but that was not really the point. I do not let my dogs go up to other dogs unless it is obvious the other owner does not mind.

16. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

How strange .........

Blitz likes this.
  17. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Ooh I've just thought...Maybe he let it off because it is better with other dogs off-lead and then started walking back because he thought he had dropped something...but then realised what he thought he had dropped was actually in his hand?

It is a weird thing to do, but I often find myself doing something quite innocent and thinking people must think I'm a right weirdo!

18. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

Definitely odd, maybe just an odd chap, or indecisive maybe :)

19. Keith 66

Keith 66 PetForums Junior

Whats weird about it? Bloke has a dog on the lead. a dog he doesnt know comes running over so he lets it off. I have been in that situation myself & if the strange dog decides to have a scrap at least mine would have the chance to run or defend itself.
    As to walking away, Often by turning & walking away your dog will follow you, its a useful part of recall training.

20. kare

kare PetForums VIP

Perhaps he had the thought of heading back to another spot that was wider to allow you to pass easier then realised it was further back than he recalled?

I did a 450 circle on the spot at work yesterday as the Operating dept I work in is square and working in a different theatre to normal I went the wrong direction out of the door towards break room. I looked odd to those staff watching too no doubt

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice