Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Weight reduction food for a tubby dachshund.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by SusieRainbow, Nov 3, 2020.

1. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

In your experience what's the best food for trimming down a food crazy small dog ? Bobby has piled on weight since he was castrated in March, we need to get him back on track. Reena could do with losng a bit too. Any suggestions welcome.
    We have started weighing out their food, they currently have Nature's Menu dry with a teaspoon of sardines for breakfast, Naturo trays at dinner-time and about a tablespoon of Pet-Fresh at supper time. Treats are fish skins to encourage chewng and aid dental health.

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Sorry, not much help, but I feel your pain, Bates has been on a diet since August and I don't think much at all has shifted though to be fair, I haven't weighed him yet. I was hoping Penny would keep him more active, and she does, but he's still pretty sedentary. I've cut his food back, but he's also getting more treats than usual what with helping me train the little dog, so we shall see on our next vet visit...

Just off the top of my head - sardines are pretty fatty aren't they? Maybe sardines every other day and a different topper?

Sarah H likes this.
  3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Mmm, that's an idea, but they do have the sardines in Spring water, not oil. I give them because apparently they are good for the intra-vetebral discs and as you know Reena had surgery for IVDD 4 years ago. Maybe reducing their intake to alternate days would help.

O2.0 likes this.
  4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

When Jack was getting a bit thick waisted, I just cut his food by a smidge and he didn’t notice, but it worked over a summer.

He’s maintained at that level ever since.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Burns is well known for keeping them lean.

picaresque and SusieRainbow like this.
  6. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Ahh, thank you ! I was trying to remember which food I'd seen mentioned as good for weight management here. I'll check that out.
    Tango lost some weight on Millie's Wolfheart Tracker mix and was really well on it but the smelly flatulence and poos were horrific, probably from the tripe in it!:eek::Vomit

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  7. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

I didn't want to, but I put Danny on Hill's Weight Reduction wet food, and he's lost a little over 3kg :).
    He has a few pieces of AVA weight management kibble, and sometimes I use their wet food, but it's slightly higher fat. The Hill's is the only thing that really help keep it off.
    A tin lasts about a week, which helps with the cost, and I bulk it out with green beans.

Haven't noticed any negative effects from him being on it :)

SusieRainbow likes this.
  8. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks, that's good to know, another option to consder.:)

9. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I'm trying to get some weight off Comrade Grisha at the moment. My fault he's a fatso, but it was difficult to tell until he had a "haircut" and you could see he was rather portly!.

When I took Gwylim to the vet for his Rabies vacc I spoke to our vet and he suggested I put him on Happy Dog Light Calorie Control Kibble, which I have done He's been having it with a little taste of wet food and a dob of kefir for the past 3 weeks. He's a stocky boy anyway, but if his harness is anything to go by I think he's lost a few grammes. Too heavy for me to lift up and stand on my scales so I won't know until we go to the vet again.

https://www.happydoguk.com/products...g Calorie Control is,for feeding after a diet.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  10. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Bobby is defnitely heavier boned than Reena, longer too so a big 'mini' which is why he failed as a stud. But we can't deny it, he's become rather a portly gent since he was 'done' in March.
    I've got some Burns weght control kibble comng tomorrow and have already cut down portion sizes and restricted treats , not that they had many but my beloved husband couldn't resist sharing crisps with him.:rolleyes:
    We have had words !
    We should get a little doggy Weight Watchers going !:D

11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I usually just cut the food down by a bit till the dog is back to the right condition. I have never had an actual overweight dog though. I have never weighed food or dogs, if the ribs are too well covered I just give a bit less. Toffee has been the opposite all her life and Candy is losing weight at the moment for no reason - again!

SusieRainbow likes this.
  12. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I've threatened mine with bariatric surgery if he doesn't lose some weight! :)

SusieRainbow likes this.
  13. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Tango was quite tubby for a while and lost weight on the Millie's Wolheart, then never gained it back. The last 2 years of her lfe she was quite slim even though she had a voracious appetite.

Magyarmum likes this.
  14. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Honestly, just cutting the overall amount of food is your best bet.

However if they're the sort of dogs who'll have problems if you do that, noting there's less in the bowl etc. then feeding additional water-heavy fruits and veggies can help. Just because they take up space in the stomach, so help them to feel fuller sooner, despite having eaten less actual food. Ditto adding water to their meals too, to make the meal take up more space in their stomach to hit the 'okay brain we're full now' stomach expansion threshold.

[Oops sorry, ignore my sardines comment I didn't read the post properly that said they're already getting them currently]

#14 Torin., Nov 4, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  15. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks, some good ideas there. I'll keep you posted and reward you with photos of Bobby's new streamlned bod when we get there .:):)

16. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Oh no, my edit having re-read your first post cross-posted with your reply @SusieRainbow haha! I 100% agree with feeding oily fish as back support, especially given both breed and history. What I would probably look to do, is to reduce the amount of fat in the rest of the food, so that you can continue giving regular oily fish specifically. I don't know Nature's Menu dry or Naturo wet without looking it up, but I would basically look to feed foods that are low in fat for the other angles, and then feed a lower amounts, so that you can keep on with the oily fish for it's skeletal benefits :)

eta - I looked them up. SHould really just.... not post until I've read and looked up :Bag NM dry is low in fat (11.45% DMB), but Naturo wet is pretty high in fat (28% DMB). So if it was me, I would switch the wet food for a low fat wet, and also add water/ water-heavy stuff.

17. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I have ordered Burns Kibble weight management formula and am looking for a lower fat content wet. Not really sure what wet would be best, luckily these lttle gannets will eat anything! We've thought about Nature's Menu frozen nuggets but I need to check the nutritional values.

Torin. likes this.
  18. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

When you're browsing for wet, remember to check what the %s are by dry matter basis - that basically puts it all on a level playing field even if some recipes are wetter than others (wet food can vary a lot between being very crumbly wet and very sloppy wet). I use this calculator:
    http://fnae.org/dmb.html
    Moisture content % goes in the top box, and listed fat % in the bottom box

Natures Menu Country Hunter Turkey & Goose raw nuggets come out as 36.6% fat DMB - which is higher than the 28% of the current Naturo wet. You can get low fat raw though :)

19. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, I've just seen that !:eek:
    I'm considering Butchers Lean and Tasty.

Torin. likes this.
  20. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

We’ve often gone through low fat foods here and it dawned on me I’d put together a list
    Wets
    Naturediet fish, Feelgood 2%
    Arden Grange Partners sensitive, 2%
    Burns Penlan Fish 1.55% fat
    Hi-Life Spoil Me all flavours, chicken&beef 1%
    Applaws in broth 1%
    Chappie 3.8%
    Pets At Home AVA Weight Management 3%
    Wainwrights tuna pouches 2%
    Butchers lean & tasty 2.5%
    Kibble
    Wainsrights grain free light 7.5% fat
    Wainwright’s turkey light 7.5% fat
    Wafcol salmon and potato light 6% fat
    MilliesWolfHeart Highland/Tracker Mix 8.5% fat
    Autarky mature lite chicken 7% salmon 5%
    Burns chicken and rice 7.5% fat

#20 Mum2Heidi, Nov 4, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    SusieRainbow likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice