Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Weight Pull for dogs.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Captain.Charisma, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Captain.Charisma

Captain.Charisma PetForums VIP

I was doing my research on my dogs breeds as usual, for when i get a dog. It was the turn at looking into the American Bulldog again tonight, and what seems quite common for these dogs to "enjoy" is weight pulling. Ive also youtubed it and watch dogs pull some crazyyy weights, amazing.

I just wondered, what you thought of the idea of weight pulling ?
    Is it cruel ? and is it good for your dog ? part of me actually likes the idea, espcially for the breeds thats its natural to pull or cart weights/stuff people. I

Also while i found about it thanks to its common pratice for American Bulldogs to weight pull, would Rottis be good at it too ? or would they not be as good weight pullers/ not enjoy it as much. The reason being is the Rotti is another dog on my shortlist, and it has a history of being a working dog, for carting weights for the Romans ect, so i thought they would .

2. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

I think its amazingly cruel, the poor dogs arent rested after each pull - the weights they attempt are rediculas and its all so they dont have a bad rap for biting the face off some person
    :D
    bound to get some comments now :D

3. Captain.Charisma

Haha, keep them coming :p

Do they not get a rest ? i dont really know much about the "sport"/past time to be honest. I thought it sounded really cruel to start with as well, and a lot of stress for the dogs. But then i thought about it and thought, arent some dogs bred as sledgers and carters and therefore will enjoy working ?

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Arent the majority of the dogs that take part breeds like American Bulldogs, Pit Bulls and the like? Very few natural sledge/working breeds.

I cant see the point of it myself. They make them pull such ridiculous weights. Even breeds such as huskys wouldnt naturally pull that amount. I think its risking serious muscle and joint damage.

5. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

I didnt know a thing about it until someone posted some youtube vids .... i think its a bit rediculas really. Youve got a dog (pit/bull type) that will stop at nothing to do what it ower asks and they are making it pull silly weights just so they have purpose:eek:

6. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I used to do weightpull with my American Bulldog & my Old Tyme Boy, they both loved it and I also found it was a great way to burn off excess energy they had.

Here is the British Weight Pull Association for more information :)

WEIGHT PULL CLUB

7. borderer

borderer Guest

i have done it a long time ago when i bred staffs they love :D:D

8. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I don't mind it and Silas did it for a while but he is part mal and bred for it. I was surprised how few sledding/carting breeds did it

9. borderer

borderer Guest

humams do it on worlds strongest man:rolleyes::D

10. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

yes but they have a choice - of what few braincells they have to choose from anyway :cool:

11. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Thing is though, you can't force a dog to do what it don't want to do, especially a Bulldog!

12. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

the way they get them to pull those amounts im suprised they get out of their crates ever again personally :eek:

13. Nicci

Nicci Guest

LOL you'd be surprised :D

It's a brilliant way of channelling the drive of a high energy breed like the American Bulldog, they need something to do, they are do'ers and don't make great pet dogs if you want them to be lazy, I personally don't like to see puppies doing it but some people let them which is mindless as they are a slow maturing breed. :)

14. Captain.Charisma

Thanks for the link :), i will check it out !
    I personaly think that American Bulldogs and such dogs, appear to like pulling weights. Your dogs didnt seem to suffer much then :) Out of intrest, are Rottis also regualr/good pullers ?

If so two out of my 4 breeds on my shortlist, are weight pullers haha... So its deffiantlty worth looking into :)

15. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

so youve just answered you own question?

16. Nicci

Nicci Guest

American Bulldogs love to pull, theres a guy round my neck of the woods that takes his out on a rig :eek: :D Next time I see him I'll try and get some pic's.

I've only ever seen one Rotty pull weights and he did well and seemed to enjoy it :)

Have you also considered the Olde Tyme Bulldog ? As they are good all rounders too ;)

17. Nicci

Nicci Guest

No, in a round about way I was answering to your comments above.

The dogs do have a choice, you can't force a thing like that on a dog.

I tried my Bullmastiff with pulling some weights years back, she wouldn't do it and I would never have forced her because I couldn't it really was that simple.

You can't force most Bully breeds to do something they don't want to do, they have minds of their own and do exactly what they want to do.

I see nothing wrong with it, it is good exercise for high energy breed like the American Bulldog and it will help channel whatever drive they have, which is usually extremely high with these dogs.

18. Captain.Charisma

On a rig ? really ? :p

Yehh, i would of thought giving there history they would of been good pullers. But maybe they cant compete with the American Bulldogs(because they are pound to pound more muscle i persume ?), so people dont use them to compete ?..

As for the Olde Tyme Bulldog, woahhhh didnt realise there was such a breed. I've googled it, and they look amazing. Kinda a cross between the English and American Bulldog in apperance, athelic body, with a massive head :p

thankyou again x

19. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

I find it a cruel sport myself, so long as theres an eager owner egging them on they will try to come to you - its simply their physical capabilites that stops them attempting the pull. As I say... i cant uderstand why theyd go back for more - theyd have to be aching for days after. There has to be better ways of draining their energy than tugging a 500lb set of weights along the floor - maybe there isnt - and thats whay theres so much hype about it being a brilliant way to exercise them. Yet you dont see typical puller breeds doing it :(

20. Nicci

Nicci Guest

My boy is on the pet encyclopedia on here, take a look he's from the 'Mollet' line and also did weightpull.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice