UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SURVEY NOW CLOSED
Thank you to all who participated! Please, still feel free to contact me with any questions.
I will be sharing the results of this survey on this forum in a few weeks, once I have completed my project.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

My name is Katrina Wolf and I am a third year veterinary student at the University of Nottingham Vet School. I am conducting a research project investigating the factors that influence dog owners' abilities to achieve weight loss and long term weight management for their dogs.

I require the views and opinions of dog owners (whether your dog is overweight or not, it doesn't matter).
Involvement is entirely voluntary and there is no obligation to take part in this research, but I would be grateful if you would participate in this short questionnaire that takes less than 10 minutes to complete.
All details and information collected in the survey will be kept anonymous and treated with confidentiality.

Link to questionnaire: x

Enter your email address at the end of the survey to be entered into a draw to win £50 Amazon vouchers!

Your views and opinions are very important to the success of this study, so I appreciate your time and interest. Please do not hesitate to contact myself or my supervisor should you require further information about this study.

Thank you in advance for your participation,

Katrina Wolf, 3rd year Veterinary Student
[email protected]

Supervisor: Kate Cobb, Lecturer in Veterinary Science - Learning and Assessment
[email protected]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I will be making the results of this study available on this forum.
Thank You so much for your participation .. and please pass the link on to anyone else you know who may be interested.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
completed, but feel too much focus on calories and less on carbohydrates (which put weight on dogs (and humans))

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
completed, but feel too much focus on calories and less on carbohydrates (which put weight on dogs (and humans))
I also felt that the 'weight range for the breed' question was going to be used to see whether or not dogs were overweight. I wrote a long explanation of why I feel looking at the actual dog and using body condition scoring was better. Kilo for example is overweight if you look at the acceptable weight range on veterinary charts and the breed standard but he is actually very lean but well muscled, verging on too thin at times if I am not careful.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
We like £50 amazon vouchers too :D

I've done it, but only for one of mine. Would you like me to do the same for the other 4?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your responses!
I'll try my best to answer any questions or comments you have about the survey, they are all much appreciated!

@SLB - while I appreciate your enthusiasm and willingness to provide information, we only need one response per person - but please pass this on to anyone you know with dogs (preferably someone struggling with an overweight dog, or who has undertaken weight loss programs for their dog in the past)

Thanks!

·
Still missing my boys
42,309 Posts
I also felt that the 'weight range for the breed' question was going to be used to see whether or not dogs were overweight. I wrote a long explanation of why I feel looking at the actual dog and using body condition scoring was better. Kilo for example is overweight if you look at the acceptable weight range on veterinary charts and the breed standard but he is actually very lean but well muscled, verging on too thin at times if I am not careful.
I did something similar. That question just doesn't cover what an experienced owner would take into consideration

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Done.

Though I do want to add Diz came to me overweight (though you wouldn't believe it now, wish I had her metabolism!!).

There didn't seem to be a question where I could explain that :eek:

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Completed for my older dog Ziggy who put on a bit of weight recently, with reduced exercise due to age and arthritis. She is on a diet and nearly back to her former sleek shape.

The vet didn't think she was really overweight, though she was heavier than she ever had been before. With arthritis it's better for her to be as light as possible as long as she doesn't get too thin. She's certainly moving better already.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Totally agree, the weight range for RR seems very bizarre. For a male it's something like 39KG tops, which I think Zim reached at about 10 months and he wasn't overweight then either.

Completed, I bet you don't get many who think their dog it a bit porky though ;)

I don't envy the vet who has to tell owners the news :nonod:
Why? I've answered, I didn't take offence when my vet mentioned it, well in fact I mentioned it to her I think.

We actually found out the 'mystery' of his weight gain was our neighbours who walked him were feeding him biscuits by the box load :eek: He's lost about 6kgs since we realised!

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
Totally agree, the weight range for RR seems very bizarre. For a male it's something like 39KG tops, which I think Zim reached at about 10 months and he wasn't overweight then either.

Why? I've answered, I didn't take offence when my vet mentioned it, well in fact I mentioned it to her I think.

We actually found out the 'mystery' of his weight gain was our neighbours who walked him were feeding him biscuits by the box load :eek: He's lost about 6kgs since we realised!
I was talking to some breeders who were saying that the breed standard was being reviewed - particularly the weight - but it was decided that it wouldn't be changed in the end. I think it's 41kg tops off the top of my head - my vet's chart says 35kg :eek:. Luckily the vet said he was in superb condition as he'd be emaciated at that :w00t:.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.