Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Weight loss

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Ellie28, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Ellie28

Ellie28 PetForums Newbie

Hi, does anyone have any advice for high calorie foods for my cat please? My 8 year old cat Ellie has recently being diagnosed with cardiomyopathy and started on 3 different medications. She went to the vet today for some investigations into a cough. Whilst at the vets they weighed her and her weight has dropped from 2.8kg to 2.6kg in a month. She‘s usually around 2.9kg. The vet recommended feeding little & often and trying a food like royal canin. She use to eat just Bozita wet food. Recently I tried her with a mixture of Rosies farm, bozita, Feringa & wild freedom. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on helping a cat gain weight in a healthy way please.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Ellie28 and welcome :)

I agree with the vet about feeding Ellie little and often. I have to do this for one of my cats, (in his case it's for management of his IBD). I feed him 6 meals a day, of 30 grams per meal. This includes 2 meals left in a timed auto-feeder at night. I'd suggest also leaving food for Ellie at night, as well as her daytime meals.. But I wouldn't feed Royal Canin foods.

Bozita is very low in carbs, low in fat and moderately low in protein. I would stop feeding her it as it's not ideal for a cat who is underweight. I'd slowly transfer her off it to foods that are higher in protein, carbs and fats. Introduce only one new food at a time and start with a small amount (a teaspoonful) on a separate dish to her usual food. Take a few days to introduce it fully,

Wild Freedom has a good level of protein and fats. Rosie's Farm is a good food, as is Feringa. The Feringa Classic is slightly higher in fats than the Feringa Meat Menus and my cats seem to tolerate the Feringa Classic better. Other good foods are Catz Finefood, Granatapet and Natures Menu (all from Zooplus).

Adding some home cooked meats to her diet will give her high quality protein and help build her muscle mass. e..g chicken thighs, turkey drumstick, beef or lamb mince fried in a little goose fat, or casseroled chunks. It is OK to feed up to 15% of her meals this way. But if you wanted to feed more than that you'd need to add a 'completer' supplement to make the meals balanced. Felini Complete is suitable for adding to cooked meat.

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/vitamins/155860

3. Ellie28

Ellie28 PetForums Newbie

Hi Chilminx. Thank you for your advice. I could try feeding her small amounts overnight. The problem is she often won’t go down stairs to eat, she tries to get us up in the morning even though sometimes there is food there for her! When you feed the home cooked meats do you mix these in with wet food? I worry that she will start to refuse wet food if she gets the option of meat. Thank you for your help.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Can you bring her auto-feeder upstairs for her at bedtime ? It needs to be placed near where she sleeps at night or she won't be aware of it.

You can add the cooked meat to her cat food if you want to. My cats get fed home cooked meats often and I feed it separately. It hasn't put them off their cat food at all, because they like variety in their diet. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice