Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Weight loss for adopted indoor cat

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by TGLucie, Feb 21, 2020.

1. TGLucie

TGLucie PetForums Junior

Hello!

We have adopted a cat and have been told she’s slightly over weight. She has a saggy belly but we were told this was due to her having 2 sets of kittens. She’s on Light dry food as she doesn’t eat wet food. It’s portioned via her automatic feeder. We play with her and she acts like a kitten but we want to know what else we can do to help get her in shape?

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

The best thing you can do for her is to encourage her to eat wet food ,dry food is usually behind weight gain.
    I know its difficult with some cats ,I had quite a battle with Meeko over wet/dry food plus he has IBD but if I can do it them anyone can.
    Who says she doesn't eat wet food , how long have you had her and what wet have you tried.
    I'm not good with recommendations but I'm sure others will be along soon.

chillminx, Torin. and lorilu like this.
  3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

"light" kibble is very bad for any cat and won't help her get to or keep a healthy weight. It doesn't contain any thing a cat needs nutritionally.

Most cats do have a primordial pouch and isn't the best way to judge a cat's weight or fitness. Playing with her as you are doing is excellent, but you will want to transition her to a much better and healthier wet diet. This can take time and a little effort on your part if she is 'addicted' to kibble, but it can be done!

There is a tried and true method I recommend if you are interested.

How old is she and is she spayed now? If not, spaying her will be the very first thing to be done.

#3 lorilu, Feb 21, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  4. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Yes I was just about to write this. Best to get hands on and feel her actual body and look at whether there is waist definition or not, than looking at her *tummy* specifically.

This is the one I use, notice it doesn't mention the extra skin of the primordial pouch at all
    [​IMG]
    Source: http://www.castlevetsltd.co.uk/cm/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/body-condition-chart-cat-HD.png (where you can zoom in to read more easily)

If she really is overweight according to that (vs just having a saggy belly) then buying your own scales to use weekly at home can help. Baby weighing scales are £22ish online. You want any weight loss to be gradual (losing weight too fast is dangerous), and it's much less stress for a cat to be weighed at home than going into the vets lots just for that.

chillminx likes this.
  5. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Before you decide she's overweight look at 'condition scoring'. https://petobesityprevention.org/pet-weight-check (scroll down for the cat chart)

Remember most domestics look bigger than they are because of their fur - you need to feel to see what size she really is.

6. TGLucie

TGLucie PetForums Junior

I’d love to know your method! They said she has only ever eaten dry and she is three. We have had her for a few months and always give her wet but she will lick the gravy and that’s it

7. TGLucie

TGLucie PetForums Junior

I’d say she’s in the overweight section. Just. She refuses to eat wet food and others say dry food alone isn’t great for weight loss, even if it’s light or indoor variety.

Any tips on getting cats to eat wet food?

8. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I recommend this method: (this is my standard reply, typed out long ago and saved)

If you are free feeding, stop. Feed on a schedule. Three meals a day. Measure the food for the whole day and portion it out. (you need to know how much she is eating every day) Put down the measured food, if it isn't gone in a half hour pick it up until the next meal. If you are already feeding on a schedule that's even better.

A kibble addict doesn't recognize that canned food is food. She's been programmed, probably from weaning, to eat a junk food diet.

Develop a meal time routine. For example: Have a game together, then feed her. Three times a day, play then meal time. When you put down the fresh kibble place a tiny blob of wet food in a separate dish right next to it. A small shallow or flat glass dish. Think a little saucer. That's all. Just leave it there, in a separate dish and pick it up when you pick up the other dish.

After a week or so, if the wet food is still being ignored, use a little incentive. Forti Flora is something most cats find irresistible (because it is made mainly of animal digest, same thing sprayed on kibble) but I prefer something healthier, such as freeze dried pure protein treats. But whatever works, to start. Sprinkle a little over the kibble, and a lot more over the wet. This makes the food in both dishes smell the same.

Often this (the incentive) is the step that works, and kitty starts eating that blob. Might just lick off the forti flora or freeze dried chicken dust first.

Keep at that stage for a few days, once the blob is being eaten, gradually increase the amount of wet and decrease the amount of kibble.

You might experiment a little after things are going well, and leave the incentive off the kibble and just on the wet for a few days.

Next try putting down one meal of just wet, with the incentive. Keep the other meals with the offering of both. Once that meal is being eaten, replace another meal with all wet. And so on.

Pate is better than chunks in gravy or shredded types. For transitions, and, generally speaking, better for the cat as well (usually lower in carbs) but also, cats seem to prefer it. It's okay to use cheap smelly brands at first. You can worry about improving the quality later. Another trick to try during all this is to add enough warm water to make it into a little bit of gravy to be lapped up.

Don't make a big deal out of it, or any fuss at all. You want to avoid any stress about it. Just place that saucer of wet (remember, very important: no more than a teaspoon to start) next to the dish of kibble at each meal, then pick it up if it's not eaten.

Don't worry about how long it takes. It takes as long as it takes. You'll get there in the end.

9. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Having kittens doesn't cause a saggy belly once milk is dried up. While it's commonly known as 'spay sway', males can also have a pouch.

Hopefully Lorilus tips will help and you can get her on a better diet.

10. TGLucie

TGLucie PetForums Junior

This sounds amazing and I can’t wait to start! I was thinking late was the way forward but it’s hard to find a ‘healthy’ one over here...I’ll pop to Pets at Home tomorrow and speak with someone there to see which healthy ones they have! As I work 7:30-4, what do you suggest about the 2nd feed? Do that at 4 when home or leave something for her?

11. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

It depends on what works for you and for her. You can get a timed feeder (train her to use it before relying on it) for midday if you think she needs that meal.

I actually feed four meals a day because I come home for lunch to medicate one of my cats, but if I was feeding 3 meals a day I would feed breakfast, an early supper when I got home from work (after doing chores and Game time but before I eat my own supper) and bed time.

12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@TGLucie - as you mention you have access to a Pets at Home store where you live, they have a fair choice of good quality wet foods.

You need to look for grain free foods with low carbs, and no added sugars.

e.g.

HiLife It's Only Natural

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/...ntPage=1&pageSize=24&orderBy=1&Brand="HiLife"

Little Big Paw

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/...1&pageSize=24&orderBy=1&Brand="Little+BigPaw"

Lily's Kitchen

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/...&pageSize=24&orderBy=1&Brand="Lily's+Kitchen"

Natures Menu Country Hunter

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/...ry-hunter-multipack-cat-food-pouches-12-x-85g

Natures Menu Original

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/...tures-menu-adult-chicken-and-turkey-12-x-100g

Wainwrights tins (chicken or duck)

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/...th-shredded-chicken-breast-adult-cat-food-85g

lorilu and TGLucie like this.
  13. TGLucie

TGLucie PetForums Junior

Ooh thanks! Looking for a pate or mousse style so I’ll take a look! We were given a sample for this and she enjoyed that...what do you think of this? https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/sheba-perfect-portions-with-salmon-in-loaf-adult-cat-wet-food-trays-6x375g?weight=225g?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&cm_mmc=Google-_-CPC-_-%20google_shopping-_-google_shopping&ita=1976&ito=google_shopping&istCompanyId=7255ccad-a1fc-4729-af31-478f79e5071c&istFeedId=385e6b9a-8b03-4076-a8bb-e4737df8549c&istItemId=ixpmppllp&istBid=tzwt&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr-rr3urk5wIVhrTtCh2eIQeEEAQYAiABEgIcgfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or this? We have some of this:
    https://fetch.co.uk/almo-nature-dai...-chicken-wet-cat-food-tins-24-x-85g-234284011

14. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Well it is not the best quality as it contains added sugars so the carb level is not low. Therefore it's not great for a cat whom you want to lose weight. But I guess if it was just one of a number of wet foods you feed her it wouldn't be so bad.. It is best to feed her a variety of 4 or 5 different makes of food, to ensure she is getting a well balanced diet..

Buying good quality wet foods online from web stores such as Zooplus UK will save you money, but if (as I understand it) you aren't on the UK mainland, it can be difficult or expensive to get Zooplus to deliver.

lorilu likes this.
  15. TGLucie

TGLucie PetForums Junior

ooh no I do live in the UK. How about this? Says sugar free, of a mousse, grain free https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/almo_nature/daily_menu/523761

16. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I wouldn't feed that food, it is not a complete food (only supplementary/complementary). She needs complete foods, for a balanced diet.

Sorry, as you said it was hard to find healthy wet cat foods in your locality, I assumed you must be outside the UK. We are in fact very lucky in the UK to have access to a wide choice of good quality healthy wet foods, either in our high street pet stores, or online from places like Zooplus. It's just a matter of researching what is good and healthy.

If you're willing to order from Zooplus, look at the pinned thread which lists all the good wet foods and carb levels. Go for foods less than 10% carbs.

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads...-just-the-good-stuff-work-in-progress.440844/

Foods such as tinned Granatapet, Animonda Carny, Bozita, Macs and Feringa - are all good.

Introduce only one new food at a time, and slowly, as per lorilu's advice.

#16 chillminx, Feb 22, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Torin. likes this.
  17. TGLucie

TGLucie PetForums Junior

Ahh I’ve looked at this list which is why I sent the link to the Almo nature as it was the top of the list

18. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Well it's quite a long list, so it may take you a while to look everything up on Zooplus, and check all the ingredients, as you will need to.

#18 chillminx, Feb 22, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  19. Amy Platts

Amy Platts PetForums Newbie

Speak to your vet about metabolic cat food my 13 year old cat was 6.2kg (she's on daily steroids) and since feeding her metabolic she is now 5.7kg in just 3 months yiu can then maintain the weight you want them to be just by following feeding guides it's literally saved her life.

20. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Amy Platts -

I'm glad your cat has been able to lose weight, but I'm afraid Hills Metabolic food is not a great quality food. These are the ingredients :

"COMPOSITION of Hills Metabolic wet food: Meat and animal derivatives, cereals, vegetable protein extracts, vegetables, derivatives of vegetable origin, seeds, minerals, oils and fats."

A food that contains cereals and vegetable protein extracts is not the best diet for a cat. .It is too high in carbs and vegetable protein is not well digested by felines.

A diet that is high in meat protein, low in carbs and has moderate levels of fat would be healthier for the cat, and with set meals the weight loss should be even better than on the Metabolic.

The dry food version of Metabolic is even less healthy, as it contains sugars as well as cereals and vegetable protein extracts. So it's very high in carbs! :

"COMPOSITION of Hills Metabolic dry food : Meat and animal derivatives, derivatives of vegetable origin, eggs and egg derivatives, vegetables, various sugars, cereals, oils and fats, minerals, vegetable protein extracts."

Torin. and lorilu like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice