Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Weight gain advice - Megaesophagus

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by B00cock, Apr 12, 2019.

1. B00cock

B00cock PetForums Newbie

Hi, I own a 7 month old Lab puppy who recently has been diagnosed with megaesophagus. We got her at 3 months and she was underweight then, but the previous owners had been advised that she just had a sensitive stomach and to feed her sensitive kibble little and often. We continued with this diet which was met with constant regurgitation, vomiting and “blockages” in her throat.
    We eventually went to the vet who diagnosed her with megaesophagus, we we’re told that due to her having it as a puppy, it cannot be repaired through surgery as it is hereditary. So we now feed her a good quality dry food that is mashed with water so form the consistency “porridge” from an raised level, which is going down and treat. This doesn’t effect her day to day life she is a happy, bouncy, normal puppy. However, due to the vomiting in the beginning she is and always has been underweight. She is eating the recommended amount of food each day along with treats (which are plentiful due to training). At the moment she is approximately 3kg under the recommended weight for a lab of her age, we cannot up her meals any more due to the amount of water used to soften the kibble.
    Are there any treats/foods that anybody could recommend to help her get to her ideal weight?
    Thanks

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Have you considered feeding raw minces? Tripe is very good for putting weight on.

wee man and winterrose like this.
  3. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

My daughters friend's sister has a Frenchie who has this her vet gave her the advice of feeding Natures menu raw minces as it is quite fine compared to other makes her pup steadily gained weight and is now ideal weight for her age and never leaves any of her food:)

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Is she actually underweight. Go by her condition rather than a breed ideal weight. An adult lab bitch can vary massively in size and weight.

5. B00cock

B00cock PetForums Newbie

She is currently 16.9kg, the vet and the local pet shop have said she is under weight. When we first got her we were told she was going to be quite a big lab (as she had huge paws etc).
    We have a 6 year old lab bitch who is small in size but her weight is perfectly in proportion and the pup is almost taller than her. And when we compare her to other labs of a similar age we know they’re all 19-21kg at this age.

Blitz likes this.
  6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Just thought I would mention it as some people get so hung up on average weights they forget to actually look at the dog. If the vet said she is underweight then she probably is. Most vets like to see dogs very lean.

7. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Apparently feeding a slightly larger meal at night helps increase weight as the dog, in theory, wont burn off all the calories as it'll be asleep therefore they reserve it.

I have tried this with my toy poodle as she was very thin and it worked! Also did the reverse with my bichon who was slightly over weight I gave him a smaller meal at night and it worked also.

A way to tell that I've seen mentioned on here and have tried myself is to place your hand on the dogs back so you can feel the ribs and spine.
    If it's shaped like a mountain it's underweight
    If its flat with no curve, it's over-weight
    Ideally you'd want a gradual hill type shape if that makes sense.

Don't listen to numbers. According to the numbers bichons should be 5-6kg. Beau weighs 8kg and is at his ideal weight. Just like people, it depends on the genetics, lifestyle and body type etc

could you post a photo of him stood for us to see. it may be more helpful :)

8. B00cock

B00cock PetForums Newbie

She is currently 16.9kg, the vet and the local pet shop have said she is under weight. When we first got her we were told she was going to be quite a big lab (as she had huge paws etc).
    We have a 6 year old lab bitch who is small in size but her weight is perfectly in proportion and the pup is almost taller than her.

9. B00cock

B00cock PetForums Newbie

Sorry, such a newbie! s

10. B00cock

B00cock PetForums Newbie

Attached Files:

11. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

She looks slightly underweight in those pics. The side views, she looks lovely and slim. It's only the shot from above where you can see a bit too much rib. Is she from working or show lines?
    On the Paul O'Grady Battersea dogs programme last week there was a dog with megaesophagus and they used a special box/chair to feed the dog where it ate in a position standing on it's back legs, front legs up on a platform, and the dog was fed round meat balls that would roll down into the stomach. You could get it on ITV catchup.
    Mixing some tripe into the water/kibble mix should put some weight on her.

12. B00cock

B00cock PetForums Newbie

Oooo thank you! I’ll download POG Dogs now. Definitely looks like tripe is the favourite. Will certainly be giving that a go. Once she’s had a little boost then we can continue with her current diet as it seems to be good for maintaining weight

13. winterrose

winterrose PetForums Senior

I can certainly recommend raw for putting on weight :) brands like Just Natural, Paleo Ridge and The Dog’s Butcher are good.

14. Lolof

Lolof PetForums Newbie

I would recommend a high protein, high fat kibble (good fat!) and although she is 7 months, (and would usually have moved to a junior food by this age, ) Puppy foods offer this and it is what I recommend to my customers who have underweight dogs.
    I sell Trophy Pet Foods and they have a premium puppy food that would be ideal, but they also have a more affordable lifestyle puppy food that would do the same for your dog. Being puppy food the kibble is also smaller and so more easily digested. I would also recommend the Trophy Holistic tinned food which again if you mix with the kibble as well as water, makes the food richer.
    I have a customer with a French Bulldog with this condition an she loves the food and has done really well on it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice