Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

weight and medication advice?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by marie louise, Aug 29, 2018.

1. marie louise

marie louise PetForums Junior

My 8 yo female cat has luxating patella (dislocating kneecaps) and needs to get weight off. She had always been fed half a pouch of meat each day and biscuits always sat out but after finding out she has something wrong (1 month ago), I started just 2 pouches of meat a day. She was weighed again today and was exactly the same (this was at a different vet who said because they use a different type of scales to the other place, it could be different)

What do you recommend to get weight off? biscuits/meat and how much? what low calorie brand would be good?

Also she has to be on metacam long term. Anyone else have a pet that has had to be given this long term and have they had any problems because of it?

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Hi. Sorry to hearing your cats condition. Re weight loss I suggest you cut out the biscuits as they contain a higher proportion of carbs and calorifically more dense per volume than wet. Wet contains a lot more water so fills them up. Choose a good quality high meat content wet. Zooplus has a good selection.

Cats shouldn't lose weight too fast. I can't remember what percentage it is but it's quite low.

Re metacam my current cat and my old girl cat are/were on metacam long term both for arthritis. Neither had any issues though the vet did regular bloods to check kidneys. My girl had kidney disease. It's possible the metacam speeded it up a little but she would have had ckd irrespective of the metacam and her life quality was far better with the pain relief.

3. marie louise

Weight was checked again today and she has went upto 5.8kg that is with only 2 pouches of meat per day so thinking of trying just biscuits and a half a pouch of meat each day? Her weight was always 4 something with this but when my other cat had to change to mainly meat because he had teeth problems I did tend to just feed them both more meat which is why she has put on so much so maybe worth a try?

4. Cully

Cully PetForums Senior

Dump the biscuits! It's like me trying to diet while eating a loaf of bread every day. The biscuits are full of cereals and stuff they can't digest.

5. marie louise

Thats what I tried and she put more on?? should i just give her less than 2 pouches of meat? doesnt seem enough

6. Cully

Cully PetForums Senior

If you are feeding good quality food then she may well eat less as it's more satisfying.
    Have a look at our Cat Chat Health and Nutrition category, the 3rd thread down:
    Zooplus Cat Food list - just the good stuff (work in progress)
    You should find some very useful information including the best food.
    Hope it helps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice