UK Pet Forums Forum banner

weight advice

776 views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Dogless 
#1 ·
Last time i had my boy weighed he was just over 50kg, and that was 2 months ago. I was picking him up and standing on the scales and the subtracting my weight, but the scales only go to 150kg, i weigh 95 so now im getting "error"

anyone have any ideas how i could do it? How much does your dog weigh, and how do you weigh him/her?

#2 ·
I do the same as you, but my dog is lighter.

you could pop into your vets if they have a scale, mines does in the waiting room and I think you can just use it. or pets at home have a scale aswell. both of which will be a doggy scale so big enough for the dog to get on themselves.

#5 ·
Most vets will weigh them free, you can just ring them up and ask if they will and just pop him along at a quiet time. Its often not a bad idea anyway to just take them to get weighed and get the nurses to give him a couple of treats on a regular basis as it makes a good association with the vets, rather then taking him every time to get poked and prodded and needles put in him which doesnt make the best of assocations.

You can also go by body condition too thats often a good indicator. Viewed from above he should have a deffinate waist. You should be able to feel his ribs quite comfortably but not see them. Viewed from the side he should have a nice slope from his chest up to where his tummy tucks, not level like a barrel. I appreciate it doesnt help with things like his weight for wormers etc, but its often a good indicator if you are just worried he may be overweight or that he is of the right sort of weight.

#6 ·
im fairly confident he is the right weight for his size as far as body condition and having a waist and stuff. my worry with his weight is more to do with his food and portion size guidlines on the bag. going to the vet every week to weigh him just for his meals would be a nightmare.

when he was weighed at 7 1/2 months he was 49kg. he will be 10 months old in November and he must be knocking on 60kg now. im increasing his food abit every week to try compensate for his growing. aslong as he doesnt seem over or under weight do i not really need to worry too much about following the instructions to the letter?

#7 ·
Do all pets at homes have scales? anyone any idea about jollys having them?
All PAH and Jolleyes have them near to me. I find them far easier that the vets as they pull out and the dog walks on. Our vets have small scales jammed between seating and the door - hard to get a whole dog on and they tip with an alarming noise if the dog isn't completely central on them; it's a real drama!

im fairly confident he is the right weight for his size as far as body condition and having a waist and stuff. my worry with his weight is more to do with his food and portion size guidlines on the bag. going to the vet every week to weigh him just for his meals would be a nightmare.

when he was weighed at 7 1/2 months he was 49kg. he will be 10 months old in November and he must be knocking on 60kg now. im increasing his food abit every week to try compensate for his growing. aslong as he doesnt seem over or under weight do i not really need to worry too much about following the instructions to the letter?
I'd feed by eye - if he gets a bit skinny feed a little more, a bit fat feed a little less; I'd just use them as guidelines as all dogs are different. I found that around 10 months or so grown started to slow in my dog and I had to reduce his food a little.

#8 ·
The only reason I worry about weight is for medication purposes. Feeding I do by eye/feel. If he's looking a bit skinny increase what he's getting, if he's looking a bit porky decrease it. If I'd fed Shadow by the guidelines he'd have been one of these dogs you see news stories about because they're so fat. Rupert would have wasted away on the guideline amount, he needed at least 3 times as much as recommended.

#9 ·

The rapid growth that you saw in the early months slows down considerably usually most growth skeletal wise is done by around a year in the average dog because the growth plates have finished by then, although larger and giant breeds you often see growth continue until 15/18mths but it wont be rapid like it was.

The food guide on the bag/tin whatever is just that an approx guide some dogs will need less especially some breeds, mine for example if I fed what it said on the manufacturers instructions they would be right blotas.

In large breeds especially being overweight is bad it just puts more stress in the joints and skeleton and things like the heart. Even breed weights are not cast in stone ir depends on the individual and size, a dog thats at the lower end of the height range should be in proportion likely the higher weight range in the breed standard if there is one they would be overweight.

Thats why body condition rather then focusing on the actual amount they weigh is sometimes a better indication.

You could take him once a month to the vets to be weighted and the rest of the time be guided by body condition on looks and feel.

#11 ·
The big lads (50, 70 & 80 kg) are weighed at the vets - as far as I know, our local Jollyes and Pets At Home do not have scales. The scales at the vets are sunken with the weighing platform level to the floor, so you just walk the dog straight onto them with no wobbles or noise. They're in the waiting room so I just pop them on every time I'm in there with one of them, I like to keep track of their weight.

The 30 kg boy, if I need him weighed, my husband will pick him up and weigh him on the scales with him - he hates the vets and we minimize the time we spend and things we do in there as much as possible! 7 kg squirt gets put in a sit stay on the bathroom scales.

#12 ·
The big lads (50, 70 & 80 kg) are weighed at the vets - as far as I know, our local Jollyes and Pets At Home do not have scales. The scales at the vets are sunken with the weighing platform level to the floor, so you just walk the dog straight onto them with no wobbles or noise. They're in the waiting room so I just pop them on every time I'm in there with one of them, I like to keep track of their weight.

The 30 kg boy, if I need him weighed, my husband will pick him up and weigh him on the scales with him - he hates the vets and we minimize the time we spend and things we do in there as much as possible! 7 kg squirt gets put in a sit stay on the bathroom scales.
The scales are under the 'medical' bit in both shops - they are pull out from underneath, not easy to spot - I just look for a handle! Our vet's ones are a nightmare, as well as tipping and being noisy it's really hard to get the whole of any dog larger than a springer on without a lot of arranging :scared:.

#13 ·
The scales are under the 'medical' bit in both shops - they are pull out from underneath, not easy to spot - I just look for a handle! Our vet's ones are a nightmare, as well as tipping and being noisy it's really hard to get the whole of any dog larger than a springer on without a lot of arranging :scared:.
Great, thanks. I always take a dog or two when I pop to PAH or Jollyes, so would be easier if they did have them there - will have to have a look!

#14 ·
either at the vets or some pets at home stores have them if they have an instore vets. Otherwise you could make a rough estimation by weighing his back end and front end, and adding them together to make the final weight.
But the number on the scales sometimes doesn't match what he looks like. Does his body come in from the chest into a narrow waist? Do you really have to dig in to feel his ribs or not very much at all?

#15 ·
either at the vets or some pets at home stores have them if they have an instore vets. Otherwise you could make a rough estimation by weighing his back end and front end, and adding them together to make the final weight.
But the number on the scales sometimes doesn't match what he looks like. Does his body come in from the chest into a narrow waist? Do you really have to dig in to feel his ribs or not very much at all?
The ones with vets have a set at the vets but still the set that pull out under the health section like all the stores without vets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.