UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having a think about raw.
Milo would need 190g per day.
I imagine once the bones are out,there isnt much meat left.So do you weigh the whole lot,even if the majority of the piece of meat is bone?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So all these pro-raw threads,but no one can answer a question about bone weight.
Let me put it another way.
Do you only feed lumps of meat/mince,not on the bone,when measuring the amounts that you feed? I cant see how that could possibly work out cheaper than commercial foods,like so many have stated.

Im confused:confused:

People have been saying about chicken drumsticks/wings,yet it hasnt been established the weight of it,once the bones have been taken out of the equation .Is the bone weight included?
Lets face it,their isnt much meat on a chicken wing

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gave them both a rib last night,to see if they liked it.I didnt see them move for about an hour and a half.And Bobbys teeth are rotten...but it didnt stop him:D
They loved it.Milo ate half of his,so I took it off him,and will give him the rest later.

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
So all these pro-raw threads,but no one can answer a question about bone weight.
Let me put it another way.
Do you only feed lumps of meat/mince,not on the bone,when measuring the amounts that you feed? I cant see how that could possibly work out cheaper than commercial foods,like so many have stated.

Im confused:confused:

People have been saying about chicken drumsticks/wings,yet it hasnt been established the weight of it,once the bones have been taken out of the equation .Is the bone weight included?
Lets face it,their isnt much meat on a chicken wing
I mainly feed carcasses as wings are small for Kes, you might think theres not much meat on a wing but chicken bones like that are VERY light so weight almost nothing in comparison. If you're really interested why not disect a wing and see what the exact difference in weights? I'm sure we'd all be interested (I would do it myself but all my wings are frozen right now!).

As for the mince my butcher gives me a big bag of mince (blended from his offcut meat) for £1 and it includes bones minced in it. I usually portion it up into smaller bags (vaguely weighed so I'll do the first couple then the rest by eye). If you're worried about bone percentages and getting it right you might want to try asking the butchers for chicken waste, they'll often have bones around, or lamb ribs/bones and then weigh them out/cut them into the right sizes. Your dog may need 190g/day but if you just give a bone once or twice a week as a treat to chew on this could work too. Kes gets one rib meal a week as well as her usual carcasses and fresh fish, she also gets pigs trotters or lambs legs with the bone still in. I don't think there's a need to worry about percentages too much, you can tell if you're feeding too much or too little from the poos they do. :)

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
I'm assuming you want to know how much the bones weigh to make sure the ratios are right? Dogs don't need too much meat, so there isn't a problem that there isn't much meat on a wing or carcass. In fact, this is what makes them so easy for raw feeding. ;)
I feed carcasses mostly and the ones I feed, weigh between 100g and 150g, depending on size obviously. I know this because I weighed them when I started getting them. I've been raw feeding for a while now, so don't bother to weigh stuff any more. I just chuck him a couple of carcasses for a meal and that tends to be spot on. :)

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
I don't separate bone and meat to weigh stuff if that's what you mean. The chicken legs we get weigh around 300g each, that's the whole thing and Spen will get 2 of them for a meal.

Some meals here will have very little to no bone in, others will be mostly bone. I don't worry about percentages, just go by Spens poo.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
The bones that I feed Lucky count as part of her daily amount. I don't remove the bones to weigh the meat. It's a whole meal :D

It is considerably cheaper for me to feed raw than a good quality wet ot dry. It costs about 2.50 a week to feed Lucky and that's from Morrisons supermarket.
I could feed cheapy wet or dry for half that but then she would be on a crappy diet and that isnt happening :)

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
As many have already said, the bones get included in the weight in this house :D

I don't worry about % ratios too much in regards to bone as Alfie needs a LOT more than the guide of 10% so he'll have a bone-in meal at least once a day... something like a chicken quarter which weighs about 350gr so I know one of those does him for one meal :)

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
As many have already said, the bones get included in the weight in this house :D

I don't worry about % ratios too much in regards to bone as Alfie needs a LOT more than the guide of 10% so he'll have a bone-in meal at least once a day... something like a chicken quarter which weighs about 350gr so I know one of those does him for one meal :)
I'm sure Spen gets way more than the 10% too. He gets the minces which are supposedly 80/10/10 but then I also give him things like rabbit legs, chicken quarters, fish heads, lamb ribs etc.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I'm sure Spen gets way more than the 10% too. He gets the minces which are supposedly 80/10/10 but then I also give him things like rabbit legs, chicken quarters, fish heads, lamb ribs etc.
Same here. Pork/lamb ribs, pigs trotters, carcasses.... it's a rare meal that has no bone in this house! Actually he's having one tonight :eek: 2 lambs hearts; but he'll have to have something boney tomorrow for breakfast or things will be sloppy :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Same here. Pork/lamb ribs, pigs trotters, carcasses.... it's a rare meal that has no bone in this house! Actually he's having one tonight :eek: 2 lambs hearts; but he'll have to have something boney tomorrow for breakfast or things will be sloppy :rolleyes:
Terence also usually has one boney meal a day or it'll get ugly the next day. :cryin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.