Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Weighing newborn kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by lindseyd, May 27, 2013.

1. lindseyd

lindseyd PetForums Newbie

I will be weighing my cats 1 day old kittens soon and I am just wondering if there is any safe method of marking them to tell them apart?
    I have read that some use food colouring but I just want to make sure that what I do is safe.
    All the kittens are black and white in the same spots on their bodies I think so I will double check when I take them out of the nesting box to make sure, but if they are very similar what should I do?
    I want to make sure that I keep an accurate log of their weights so I don't want to mix them up.

2. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Food colouring is fine, but will need to be reapplied frequently as mum will clean it off. Some shave a tiny patch of fluff on the kittens in different spots, but I've never done this and shudder to think of the damage that can be done. Some use a tiny bit of nail varnish on a claw, but most commonly, different coloured tiny bands are used as collars. For a first timer, food colouring will be safest as you've no danger of toxic chemicals or kittens getting a leg caught in their collar.

3. sharon_gurney

sharon_gurney PetForums VIP

Hi

I have this problem as Siamese kittens are born completely white with no marking.

Food colouring is a good idea, I use coloured paper collars but only when they are older as I worry about them getting caught on them.

4. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I use the coloured paper collars from the start and I've never had an issue with legs getting caught up in them. The sticky fastening bit is cut in a chevron pattern to deliberately fail when subject to strain.

5. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

look on ebay for kitten id bands,you can cut each strip into 4 to make them last longer and its better for tiny necks when there thinner, i leave room for two fingers behind the paper band.

Never had probs with mine and I currently have two identical 10 weeks old kittens still wearing them.

6. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

Talking of ID bands . Looked at mine today , I can cut them in half to make them thinner but don't think I will be able to get four out of one, cos I only have a sticky at one end ... Do yours have a sticky at both ends ?

7. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

no you cut them length ways,depends what size strips uyou have mine are 1 inch strips.

8. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

9. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I've used food colouring before but find it comes off too easily. I now use strips of fleece which are stretchy enough to grow with kittens - just need to check that they aren't getting too tight or too loose for legs to be caught in them. I found the paper bands too awkward for little Siamese necks.
    I thought about the hairbands too but was concerned they might get too tight. The bands in your link look good Spotty cats - haven't seen anything like that here though :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice