Weeping lump on my boxer dog's hip/leg

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Clarec, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Clarec

Clarec PetForums Newbie

Hi I am new on this site but wonder if anyone can give me advice on my 6 year old boxer dog. Over the last few months I noticed a small lump on herback leg (near her hip) and just assumed it would go away. It was soft so I assumed pretty harmless. However I have noticed in the last week or so it has got so much bigger and seemed to have developed in to two lumps which are leaking a bit. Anyone ever seen this before?

Attached Files:

2. Katie3939

Katie3939 PetForums Junior

We had boxers years ago, and they both got different forms of cancer.

One had mast cell cancer, and although it did not weep, we had her to the vet before that happened...It turned out to be mast cell cancer.

We had the tumor removed, and she lived for several years afterwards.

Can you get your boxer to a vet asap?

Wishing you the best,
    Katie

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Definitely needs a trip to the vets. As suggested, this could turn out to be a tumour and if treated quickly may be stopped in its tracks.

Any sore that doesn't start to heal after a few days, following cleaning with sterile salted water, should be referred to a vet anyway I think.

Same with lumps. If they don't just disappear or they continue to grow, then I would get them checked.

4. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Agree with the others this needs a vet ASAP

I'm afraid you cant get veterinary advice on a forum!

Please let us know how it goes

5. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

That looks nasty - please take her to the vet as soon as possible.

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Any lumps and especially ones that seem to grow and then start weeping too really need to be seen by a vet. It could be a type of cyst that's either burst and/or become infected or it could even be something more sinister, should it be the former she would need antibiotics anyway, if it should be something more sinister then the quicker the vet sees it and if it should need removing then quicker the better as the surgery is less invasive the smaller it is and you have a better chance of getting a clear margin around it.

7. Clarec

Clarec PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone. I took her to the vet the following day and she has been prescribed antiobotics and booked in for surgery on Thursday to remove the growth. Thanks for your advice and concern.

Clare