UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My lab came back from his walk today and I noticed that his eye looked a bit sore. He was blinking a lot and holding it shut occasionally but not weeping. A few hours later I noticed that there were tears in the corner of his eye. A friend of mine who knows about dogs told me to bathe it with a weak solution of salt water. I've done this but not sure if I have managed to get the solution into the eye as it was difficult to keep his eye open. Just making the eye wet, will that be enough to wash out anything that might be irritating him? If it is something in the eye can anyone tell me how long I should wait to see if there is an improvement before I take him to the vet? Don't really want to worry them if it is just a stray eyelash or similar. He doesn't seem bothered by it.

Jo

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Tbh I would never use salt water to rinse a dog's eye, because I wouldn't fancy putting salt near my own eyes! I would have thought that it would make your eyes sting. I only ever use warm water with a clean cloth to wash my dogs eyes!

It could just be an allergic reaction to something that he has come across on his walk or he could have poked himself in the eye if he's been rummaging in bushes! Best thing you can do is phone the out of hours vets for advice. My girl once poked herself in the eye with a twig and she ended up getting an ulcer! :(

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Hi

My lab came back from his walk today and I noticed that his eye looked a bit sore. He was blinking a lot and holding it shut occasionally but not weeping. A few hours later I noticed that there were tears in the corner of his eye. A friend of mine who knows about dogs told me to bathe it with a weak solution of salt water. I've done this but not sure if I have managed to get the solution into the eye as it was difficult to keep his eye open. Just making the eye wet, will that be enough to wash out anything that might be irritating him? If it is something in the eye can anyone tell me how long I should wait to see if there is an improvement before I take him to the vet? Don't really want to worry them if it is just a stray eyelash or similar. He doesn't seem bothered by it.

Jo
Blinking a lot, holding the eye shut and tearing can mean there is something still in there, to have a chance of flushing it out you would need to irrigate the eye properly I would have thought. Sometimes if something has gone in and scratched the cornea or poked him in the eye and scratched it that can cause blinking, holding the eye shut and tearing as well. Often the only way to tell is to put a special dye in the eye which will show it up.
If there is scratches or damage it can cause ulceration if left.

Obviously you can see him and what he is doing, but if there doesnt seem to be any let up probably best to get it checked really. If there is anything wrong it can be worse if left.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.