Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Weekend from hell, need a rant

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ewelsh, Jul 19, 2017.

1. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

My wonderful husband invited friends to stay for a long weekend, we've known them for years, very laid back family, they don't panic about anything, but they insist on bringing their little dog which really drives me mad, this damn dog likes to stalk my cats! So I have my back up before they even arrive!
    Normally I put my girls in the snug room with all their stuff so they are safe & stress free etc, of course the builders have been and it's like a building site so my girls couldn't go in that room this time :(
    Anyway, they arrived dog in toe, oh and my husband also dropped another bomb shell of Toby Jen & Choe & Sebastian are coming for lunch too :Muted I flipped as who can rustle up a meal for 10 people like that,

anyway!

This damn dog chased Lottie who immediately ran to the sheds and stayed up on the shelf, I'm stood with a face like thunder, but I knew Lottie is super fast and would clear off to another shed when this damn dog gave up and came inside, I took her water and meals to her up high on a shelf.
    Just before we all went out for lunch "all ON my my husband :D" all the dogs were let out for a wee, this stupid dog chased Loulou right out the garden, ok she's not as fast, slim or young as Lottie and I was positive she hurt her tummy jumping over the fence! I couldn't find her to check, so went out all afternoon fretting.

We came home around 6.00 no LouLou no Lottie! Every hour on the hour I went out calling and searching but nothing, apparently I ruined supper :Punch I Reluctantly went to bed at 2.00pm, next day nothing:Arghh I had every shed and barn opened, every shrub lifted no girls anywhere! You can imagine the grief I gave my husband who by Sunday was also worried, around lunch time I had the whole families searching, nothing!
    I secretly knew someone was eating the food left out but still couldn't be sure who was eating the food but I never let on this bit of information :Smuggrin

They eventually left Monday morning not soon enough for me along with this stupid dog. Massive row with husband over this damn dog and it was all his fault for not being firmer with our friends about bringing their dog!
    Soon as the car drove off, Loulou and Lottie appeared!

I'm crying (with relief and temper) then checking every inch of them all over, Loulou looks a little grey on her white parts so she has been sleeping ruff, Lottie felt fatter ;)

So, now I am grovelling ( to my girls :cool: ) for traumatising them!

Written on calendar " absolutely **** weekend

:)

2. KCTT

KCTT PetForums VIP

Wow you are very calm about this I would have exploded 100 times worse. Very inconsiderate of them to bring the dog knowing you have cats. Maybe next time the dog gets the shed.

3. JaimeandBree

JaimeandBree PetForums VIP

Rant away, if I was you I'd be ranting way worse and hubby would be the one out in the shed (with no food taken out to him)! What a horrible weekend for you and the girls. I hope they've now realised that if they come again the dog stays home, I'd be mortified if I was them! Though maybe hubby will think twice about inviting them again ;)

Joy84, SbanR, moggie14 and 2 others like this.
  4. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

Reminds me of my aunt who was notorious for having a succession of badly trained dogs. When she and dog came to visit our poor old cat decamped to the garage for the duration!
    If ever a dog gets an invite to your place again then put your foot down and insist it is kept on a lead - being chased by a dog is no laughing matter, indeed its owners wont be laughing if the dog catches up with the cat and gets a nasty scratch or bite itself.

AmsMam and ewelsh like this.
  5. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

That sounds like a nightmare weekend! I would ask them next to leave the Dog at home. Surely family or friends could look after him.
    You must have been so stressed up. If my Hubby had invited all those people for lunch without telling me i would be letting him organise the food.

ewelsh likes this.
  6. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

Surely guests if they bring a dog should keep it on the lead if it chases cats!!!

If they do not like then not to bring it.
    Very rude.

Your OH should have spelt it out to them.

Bash him.

SbanR, moggie14, Shrike and 1 other person like this.
  7. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Thanks for support guys!
    My husband is one of those who is always inviting people at a drop of a hat, very annoying :)

I have said in the past to this particular family not to bring Milly (the dog) but it goes over their heads with comments such as " oh the cats will sort Milly out, chill" :Muted I think it's rude, my husband thinks we should except them as that's the way they are!

Last year we threw a large party 200 odd people again stating absolutely NO dogs as we have our own pets plus food, children, dogs and warm weather don't mix, yet 6 people brought their dogs! :Banghead

I'm tempted to get an external sign saying " Absolutely NO dog visitors "

8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

What a nightmare,I admire your restraint .
    I would have "lost it" after the second time when the dog chased Loulou ....(first time could have been an accident :rolleyes:).
    When visiting friends all pets and children should be kept under control .........
    I hope your husband has learned from this and never makes the mistake of inviting folks with "additions" again unless they bring a suitable receptacle to confine them in ;)

Tigermoon and ewelsh like this.
  9. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

Next time he does it go away with your kitts. Until he clears after his guests.

jill3, Joy84 and ewelsh like this.
  10. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

That's outrageous, especially as your friends know that their dog chases your cats! I would have blown a gasket and they wouldn't be invited again. We had people round the other weekend and my friend's husband made the mistake of getting up from his chair which Tilly immediately jumped in. When he came back I got the look as if to say "aren't you going to move her" - seriously!

Joy84 and ewelsh like this.
  11. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

What a nightmare - poor Lottie and Loulou, chased out of their own home :(
    It's not fair of your husband to expect you to entertain a houseful of unexpected guests either. I would have been furious

ewelsh likes this.
  12. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I'm absolutely astounded at this. Your w/e guests I sort of understand if they've been told by your OH it's OK but people turning up at a party with their dogs - really?

ewelsh likes this.
  13. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I would have felt the same as you and been very annoyed with OH. When we had a dog, I would have asked anyone if it was OK before going, especially knowing they had cats. Sorry it was such an awful weekend, as you've already had a rant at OH, perhaps he will think twice now, not that men seem to have much common sense sometimes. ;)

Mine is always going on about he doesn't want another dog because they are a tie, yet a few weeks back, a friend offered him a JR puppy and instead of saying no straight away, he says he'll talk to me about it! :Jawdrop When he mentioned it, I went off the deep end (a) because he didn't have the guts just to say no (b) whenever I raise the possibility of having a dog (and he knows I certainly don't want a puppy), he's adamant we're not having one. So, I made it clear HE didn't want a dog and I wasn't having a puppy so he could go back to his friend and tell him, which of course, made it look as it was my fault and my decision, as he hadn't said no in the first place. Grrrrrrr!

ewelsh likes this.
  14. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

I know your hubby agreed they could bring the dog but I think it is extremely rude for them to think that is OK when you have cats. Luckily your furbabies have returned but they may not have done now their home smells of doggies. Why do some dog owners assume it is OK to bring them wherever they go?! :confused:
    I would be bloody fuming so I think you are doing quite well lol :)

ewelsh likes this.
  15. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

When my friend comes with her dog ( on a lead), 1st time he barked at Jessie keeping her out of the house i smacked his bum n told him off.

The next time those friends r due to visit i suggest u get a dog crate in readiness!

ewelsh, Jackie C and lymorelynn like this.
  16. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Now that's an answer :)

17. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

I think you are being marvellously restrained, considering. I don't blame you for being furious!
    These people are very rude and inconsiderate, to say the least. To take an uncontrolled dog to a home with cats, deliberately, is completely out of order. The cats are part of your family, and do not deserve to be frightened out of their own home by useless dog owners. As moggie14 says, why do some people think they can take their dog anywhere? If you chose to take your animal or child to someone's home, they should behave and follow the rules. I hate the whole "entitlement complex".

I would not be inviting them again. Sorry to say it, but your husband undermined you, and that's not acceptable. You need to be having words with him about what is and isn't acceptable, and be firm that any guests are to be discussed first!

Sorry you had such a sh***y weekend, I think I would have had a near breakdown!

:mad::mad::mad: What is it with people? It's your home! Do they think your rules don't apply to them? As for the comments the family make about "the cats will sort Milly out, chill"), I would definitely never invite them again, and tell them why. If they have a problem, then they can sling their hook! It's the type of comment that makes my blood boil.

ewelsh and moggie14 like this.
  18. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Next time my husband drops it on me with visitors, I will set you all on him :D

Actually this family had a party February this year, same thing happened to them, they said "no dogs" as children food alcohol don't mix, 2 separate friends bought their Labrador's which I ended up sleeping with in the guest bedroom trying to keep them out of the way ( more for the dogs sakes really ) the following morning I let them go to the kitchen until the owner woke up. Someone else let them out in the garden where the younger Labrador killed 2 of our friends chickens!
    The family were so upset, so in theory you would think they had learnt their lessons!

I will just have to be super super firm in the future and say absolutely NO Milly for I can't go through cat hunting again!

19. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Actually he did say " best leave Milly behind " as our snug room has builders in it!

Yet they still brought her! So not completely his fault! So he will have to be firmer too!

moggie14 likes this.
  20. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

I would be filing for divorce.

I would ring or text them now whilst it's fresh and tell them what happened. Say very firmly that the cats were traumatised by the dog being there and went missing for 2 days. You are not prepared to put them or indeed you through that ever again. They of course are welcome to come again but NO DOG!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice