Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Weeing In The House Even Though Toilet Trained?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Malibugirl, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Malibugirl

Malibugirl PetForums Junior

Im getting very frustrated, so hope someone can help? Our 10 month old lurcher / lab cross was a rescue, but had been in a home and re-homed due to the owner not being able to afford to keep her anymore. She is totally house trained and was used to being left for up to 5 hours a day by her previous owners. When at home with us, if she needs to go out she whines and waits by the back door. She comes to work with me most days and goes out three or four times over the park across the road from my work during this time, then goes on a long walk in the evenings when we get home. There are one or two days a fortnight that she needs to be left at home for up to 5 hours at the most (normally it is just from 1.30pm to 5pm, but once in a blue moon it is 1.30pm to 6.30pm, never any longer than this). This hasn't been a problem in the past and she has eaten her frozen filled kong and any treats that have been hidden for her whilst she has been left. However, the last couple of weeks, she has started barking the minute she is left, scratching prefusely at the door, not eating any of her food / treats (including her filled kong which she adores) and has started weeing on the floor. We just dont understand what has started this. We never make a fuss of her before we go and always just "slip out" and we never make a fuss of her when we get home so cant understand why she has started acting this way when left. If she is weeing out of protest, how do you discipline a dog that has messed when you get home? Obviously there is no point in telling a dog off after the event, but how can you get them to understand that what they have done is wrong and that she shouldn't do it again? Im really worried that now she has done it a couple of times, she will think it is okay and keep doing it!

Help!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

This sounds like seperation anxiety. Maybe the fact you leave her on her own so little, means that she never gets used to it.

3. Malibugirl

Thanks GV2. I wondered that, but then thought that as she was used to being left every day (and we have only had her less than 2 months) that she would be fine with it. Shes a very loving dog, but not totally clingy, for example as I type on here now, she is in her bed in the kitchen. She also chooses to sleep on the landing in her bed rather than in our bedroom in her bed as she did in the beginning.

We do leave music on for her when she is left and like I said she as fine the first few times she was left and quite happily ate her treats and didn't wee, so I find it quite puzzling. :confused:

4. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

YOu can google S/A and work on the things you can do. But I think bottom line, is she is not left frequently enough. Maybe you could try leaving her more? That's prob not practical, but can't really think of anything else.

Congrats on taking on a rescue, they are so rewarding. You have done a fantastic thing x

5. Malibugirl

Thanks GV2 :) I agree, I love rescue dogs, have only ever had rescue dogs and always will, very very rewarding :)

We do leave her at weekends for around an hour whilst we pop to the shops and she seems fine then, even though she is left in the same place (the kitchen) with the same treats etc.

She does get very exciteable when we come back, although we do ignore her until she settles down and then reward her for being calm. On reflection, when I leave her in my office at work whilst I go to the toilet or to the kitchen, she does start barking and runs up and down the office trying to see me! :blushing:

6. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

It is still early days. I suppose she is just worried that that you may not come back :( In the situations where she does react like this (your office), practice walking out and leaving her and returning without saying anything.

YOu are obviously doing a fab job, so keep it up x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice