Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wee wee cat smell

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ewelsh, Jun 1, 2017.

1. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

For the last few days I can smell wee wee in the main bathroom, it's a sunny room so the smell has got worse over the last few days! ( it's not hubby before you say (a) he's away (b) he doesn't use that toilet. )
    The girls often go in this room and sun bathe, I am not completely sure who it is but I suspect it is Lottie as she has been a sprayer (territory) before.

I have scrutinised every inch of the bathroom on my hands & knees trying to spot some kind of mark or find the exact location, I have washed with every cleaner going but there is still a faint aroma, so I have Biotex on order with Amazon.
    It's a an old wooden floor too which is not good.

Any ideas? Need to get this resolved before my husband gets home, I can't blame this on his dogs as they are not allowed to go up stairs.

Help!

2. Franlow

Franlow Guest

Biological washing liquid diluted in water in an old sprayer. My Burmese (Lithium) & Maine Coon ( Argentium) both use the toilet & occasionally the Maine Coon turns himself round the wrong way & pees on the floor - he isn't very bright!.
    Biological washing liquid removes the bacteria that causes the smell. It is the only thing I use as, it doesn't mask the smell, just actually removes it.
    I would also say, try the sink / bath, both have been known to wee in there if the other is on the loo. My outdoor cat ( Fleazanall) does too if he is caught short in the night. The smell seems to linger even after hot water, so, I just use the sprayer & it gets rid. I can't use chemicals in the loo as they both refuse to use it afterwards & we don't have a litter tray

ewelsh likes this.
  3. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

I agree biological sop powder, and simple solution. Should work a treat. You can also buy a black light in pets at home which should show up where the wee wee is.

Viv xx

Ali71 and ewelsh like this.
  4. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

5. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

What about zoflora. Let it dry before readmitting them

ewelsh likes this.
  6. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Buy a black light for detecting bodily fluids, it is a torch or a small tube light which shows up wee when you use it in the dark. I had one for my dripping, piddling boy.

Once you have found it you won't need to clean everything just in case it is there, you will KNOW where it is. Be prepared for all manner of other things to show up though, bits of thread, spills, splashes - it can be very enlightening.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=b...2.69i57j0l5.7012j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Then use the Simple Solution. If you find you have wee on a carpet be careful with the Simple Solution, it will leave a lighter patch on a cream/beige carpet, so probably on other colours too, it does wear off eventually so you may need to walk on it a lot :D

ewelsh likes this.
  7. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

I wouldn't use Zoflora, it has something horrible in it (gives me an instant headache) and not good for allergies, cats or humans. The stink of it might mask the wee but may equally cause more weeing as the wee smell has been covered up.

chillminx and ewelsh like this.
  8. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone :D

I will order one of those lights! I'm dreading it to be honest ha! But at least it will point me to the right area. Then I shall do battle with all the solutions you suggested apart from Zoflora as it gives me a headache too.

Thank you! This rate I will have to get the baby gate out to stop Lottie going upstairs! Libby will be furious as she loves to go up and down following the sun as it hits each room! :Cat

Purplecatlover likes this.
  9. Purplecatlover

Purplecatlover PetForums VIP

I sympathise with you so much as we've had this trouble. I hope you manage to get it sorted, it drove me absolutely nuts. Even when it was just the smallest smell of it I was on a mad one cleaning everywhere! Xxx

ewelsh likes this.
  10. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

I have a ridiculously strong sense of smell, so it's driving me mad.
    If anyone could see me they would have a good giggle at my expense, on my knees sniffing each floor board :rolleyes:
    Shutting the door waiting outside on the landing, then walking back in the bathroom trying to detect where the scent seems the strongest! I even got my English Springer in with me to see where she was most interested! But oh no she just sat looking at me totally confused with this new game " sniff the floor"

:D

11. Purplecatlover

Purplecatlover PetForums VIP

I was the same, every morning I'd sniff the carpet where he'd normally go to the toilet and feel is it was wet :rolleyes: so you're not alone hahaha! I forget what I'm smelling though as I have an attention span of a toddler! :Shamefullyembarrased

ewelsh likes this.
  12. Alexhannah

Alexhannah PetForums Member

I find that this Tesco solution works very well for odour removal.

Attached Files:

ewelsh likes this.
  13. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

I've had this problem too!!

Biotex is my friend!!!!! I would make up a solution as if you were doing a handwash and wash all the floors but also - do you have shower/bath mats???? I found one of mine was weeing on those so wash them too (in Biotex) just in case. It smells lovely!!!

chillminx and ewelsh like this.
  14. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Thank you @huckybuck my biotex is arriving tomorrow, everything will get a real scrub! Looks like we will have a mutual friend.

huckybuck likes this.
  15. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

If your normal laundry stuff is biological and in a box or bottle it will work very well. Whatever you use, a solution in warm water works best. Apply generously, leave for a few minutes, wipe off and wipe again with a cloth wrung out in plain water. On surfaces which it won't damage wiping over once dry with surgical spirits is good. It's probably just one small area and it can be easier to see than smell. If you have bath mats they need washing, so do any towels, hope you have vinyl not carpet on the floor!

16. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I am another with an overly efficient sense of smell so I sympathise.
    I agree that bath mats seem to be a favoured target zone for the errant wee-er

huckybuck likes this.
  17. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

When we first picked our boy up he soaked the carrier on the way home and as soon as I let him out he wee'd on the kitchen floor. I knew I was in for a tough time. He was treated immediately for a UTI as it was assumed to be stress - he had been in rescue in Ireland, had his tail amputated and been castrated then to a little house in England and put up for adoption, I found him on Cat Chat and he was advertised as being healthy, which it turned out he wasn't.

After a change of vet we were never sure if he had nerve damage or behavioural problems, although once he had his freedom he wee'd less on the floors, windowsills and anywhere else he fancied but still did it a bit. He also dripped as he walked. We gave him the benefit of the doubt and learned to live with it, and he happily settled into his crate at night, he actually would put himself to bed in it, as it was his safe place.

I used bio laundry products, but also white vinegar as it doesn't have the perfume that laundry stuff does. In the end we bought the big bottles of Simple Solution (in the dog section of Pets at Home) and refilled the spray bottles that are sold in the cat section (apparently cats do not need a big bottle, only dogs). I stopped using anything perfumed at all in case he thought it was 'foreign' and wee'd on it to leave his scent.

It seemed that he wasn't always able to empty his bladder and was diagnosed with a 'thick bladder' and we found he was prone to constipation which of course irritates the bladder if there is poo waiting to be passed. So all the times he was being treated for a UTI, it wasn't one and eventually he was put on Cystaid and lactulose plus alternate days of Malt paste (Katalax until I found a cheaper and more palatable one).

We never really found the answer, he had obviously had a hard time before we got him. I used to spray the floor with Simple Solution and wipe it over with a wet cloth/paper towel and try to keep him off carpets as he left a trail of drips which had eased off for a few years but started again. White vinegar is just as good for hard floors and the smell wears off though.

18. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

BTW, Biotex was reformulated last year and no longer smells like the nice fresh stuff it used to be, it no longer works in the same way (not very good) and I have noticed it making me feel a bit ill, like the Zoflora, so do be wary. I used to use it a lot but returned the unused ones for a refund and have stopped buying it as it is foul. I use much more vinegar for cleaning and laundry than ever.

19. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

But it has it's own horrid smell of acetic acid! I don't use the super-cheap liquids & powders as I hate the smell. Now using Persil Professional Small & Mighty Concentrated which cleans well and has almost no fragrance.

chillminx likes this.
  20. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Thanks all, I have used Biotex today and still the bathroom smells or I'm getting paranoid, no bath mats or towels left out, its more a guest bathroom really, unfortunately it's old floor boards so I think it's gone between the boards! Under the boards is underfloor heating! Great, stinky bathroom in the summer, stinky bathroom in the winter with heating on.
    As soon as this light turns up from amazon I will know for sure where it is.

I rather like the gentle smell of this biotext, its not overpowering or sickly like some washing powders out there.

chillminx and huckybuck like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice