Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wee sickly puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by HB2210, May 23, 2010.

1. HB2210

HB2210 PetForums Junior

Hi there, I have a 16week old German Shepherd puppy who has been a bit off colour today. His bowels have been a bit loose and he vomited once this morrning. He hasnt eaten all day but has been having wee drinks. He appears to be generally moping about and cries occasionally. He is usually full of beans and I'm worried sick about him :( Ive never had a pup before so dont really know what to do :confused: I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me

2. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Sorry your pup is not well. I would give the vet a call, especially with the hot weather as he could become very dehydrated very quickly. They should be able o offer advice on the phone. Could he have eaten something he shouldn't? You could put a little milk in his water just to colour it to encourage him to keep his fluids up. Hope he feels better soon. :)

3. rona

rona Guest

The crying is the thing that would concern me most. I would ring your vet

4. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I agree,a vet trip is probably the best thing.This age are renouned for eating things they shouldnt,so maybe that.But also they can deteriorate so quickly,best be safe than sorry
    Hope he's feeling better soon x

5. HB2210

HB2210 PetForums Junior

Thanks, i'll go call now and pray he's ok x

6. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Let us know how you get on. Hope all is ok :)

7. HB2210

HB2210 PetForums Junior

let you know soon as im off the call x :frown:

8. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Your doing the right thing calling the vet for advice, anything can happen to a puppy and they can go down hill very quickly, this heat dont help either.
    I hope you find out what is wrong with him soon. xx

9. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Any news? Hope you managed to get hold of the vets.

10. HB2210

HB2210 PetForums Junior

Vet thinks its a combination of the heat and a wee upset tummy (thats why he's crying). Ive to make him some boiled chicken and give him plenty of water and see how he goes. They are a 24 hour service so they will see him later if he gets any worse but they seem to think he's fine.

11. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Glad they don't think it's too bad, and I hope he manages his chicken and rice. Try the little milk thing, Harvey thinks he's really special when I do it for him as it has come from the shrine thats the fridge :rolleyes:
    Hope he settles soon :)

12. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Awww,hopefully he will eat a little,and keep it down!!
    Lets hope tomorrow he's feeling much better :)

13. HB2210

HB2210 PetForums Junior

Just tried him with the boiled chicken and he ate it all, and with a little milk through his water he's managed that to :) I cant thank the forum members enough for their advice, support and generally making life with my new pup less scary x

14. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Glad he managed to eat and drink it. Hopefully he will be back bouncing around tomorrow, and you will wonder why you were worrying. Horrible to see them of colour, and specially with a vulnerable pup who needs all it can get in it;s little body. They love to worry us though :rolleyes:

15. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I have just had my 2 poorly yesterday, Logan is much better today, the vets put him on antibiotics yesterday and gave anti-sickness injection. He has eaten today and been playing, Blade was sick once but is very bright and has eaten and been to the loo normally today!

I am glad your pup seems a little brighter now. They are such a worry aren't they?! :thumbup:

Just a quick hint though, i would avoid milk as this could cause diarrhoea! I have managed to get Logan to drink more today by playing with water pistols and the hose pipe! ;)

16. HB2210

HB2210 PetForums Junior

ok thanks x

17. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

How is your pup this morning? Hope he is feeling better :)

18. HB2210

HB2210 PetForums Junior

He's managed a wee bit scrambled egg, and been drinking ok, but still moping about a wee bit. On the upside, he's stopped crying so hopefully he's on the mend.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice