Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wee problem...

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Purplecatlover, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Purplecatlover

Purplecatlover PetForums VIP

I noticed a few days ago & then again today(only once a few days ago, then today) that jasper laid down to wee. (He was laid on his belly)The first time was in the litter tray, the second in his pen when I've just been moving his puppy pads. There was a lot of wee too. Has anyone ever seen This before? I've only seen it twice but I'm so confused. Is it a health problem?

The first time I saw it I thought it was a little strange but thought nothing much of it. Now I'm getting worried.

Jaspers been to the vets today and has had a steroid injection as he had a very irritated ear. I will go to the vets tomorrow if it's needed of course!

Thanks for any suggestions! Xx

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi Faye, did you mention to the vet Jasper has been lying down to pee?

I have heard of cats who rest on their front to pee all the time, i.e. it is their choice of habit, no apparent health issues. I am not sure of the significance of a kitty who does it occasionally. There may not be any significance at all.

When you say 'a lot of pee' do you mean more than he usually passes in one go? I think you've said the vet has in the past tested the USG in Jasper's urine to see how dilute his urine was? Can you remind me if the result was within normal range?

3. Purplecatlover

Hi @chillminx i didn't mention it to the vet as I didn't think much of it & I forgot if I'm honest. we've been home a few hours from the vets when he did it again.

When they tested his urine he had blood in his wee & possibly high protein if I can remember (sorry we've had so much to try and remember)
    They only diptested it in house & didn't send it off - in not sure if that is of any relevance.

As he's been using the litter tray I'm not sure if this is his usual amount - when he uses the oko plus the clumps range a tiny bit but are normally quite big. As he did it on the pen floor I could see how much there actually was If you get me.

I'm happy to go to the vets again tomorrow and see what they say. I'll try and get a sample... I'm sure I have those crystals somewhere.

When I went to the vets a couple of weeks ago he was given a antibiotic injection (metronidazole) I think as the vet said his belly was a little bloated. The vet checked his belly today and it looked totally fine.

He is now up to 1.4 in weight. (I don't know what the measurement is lol maybe kg?) I'm having a bad day haha.

Thanks xx

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

If he lies down again to pee I would give the vet a call tomorrow and see what they say. Also mention the large volume of pee he passed.

But for today if the little guy seems OK in himself, eating, using the litter tray, I wouldn't worry. But would certainly mention it to the vet next time you see him (if you don't ring vet tomorrow I mean).

Is Jasper pooing OK? No constipation or loose stools?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Purplecatlover

Thankyou I will do!

Yeah he's pooing daily - no constipation/diarrhoea and he doesn't cry/meow when he's going which he used to. So that's great! - it does smell pretty bad though, that's one thing I wanted to ask on here actually. I know poo smells but it's bad. Do you think it could be the food? He's still on the ID chicken gastro. It's always smelt bad so didn't know if some cats just smell worse. I never want to seem like I'm making problems up if you get me.

He's doing so so well in general though! Maybe I'll ring tomorrow and get an appointment and I'll ask about the poo & weeing situation.

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Some cat's poo does smell worse than others, I suppose it is down to how well each one digests their food really. I find with my two girls (sisters) that no matter what they are both fed, one girl's poo is always more stinky than the other girl's poo (and the latter's poo often has hardly any smell at all). So in their case the difference is probably due to metabolism and one having more effective digestion than the other.

If Jasper has had antibiotics (which as I recall he has) that will affect his bowel flora causing poo to be more smelly. Are you adding any probiotic to his food to restore the balance of bacteria in his gut? If you do start doing so, begin with a very small amount as it can cause a loose stool.

I wouldn't use Fortiflora, the probiotic the vets often recommend. Even a small amount gave one of my cats diarrhoea. I use Solaray Mightidophilus for my cats. I open a capsule and just use a small amount of the powder then close the capsule for use again.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mightidoph...=1497800599&sr=8-4&keywords=mightidophilus+12

Diet can make a difference. e.g. cats who are raw fed 100% of the time often have very little smell to their poo. It could be one of the ingredients in the Hills i/d causing the smelly poos, e.g perhaps the rice meal. But as the food is suiting his tummy I would be reluctant to change it at present for fear of upsetting the applecart. Later perhaps when he is older and stronger you can try him on other foods. :)

7. Franlow

Franlow Guest

How sad is this, I know which cat is which by the smell of their poo! I don't include Lithium & Argentium as they use the loo plus, what with one being a Maine Coon & the other a tiny Burmese, you don't need to be Sherlock to work out which is which :)
    Lithium has ibd & when she flares up, I use famotidine if she is puking & pro kolin if the other end. I tend to use the pro kolin enterogenic powder every other day anyway just in case at 1/4 sachet which is half strength. We use Bozita Elk as it is novel protein that she wouldn't have been introduced to before, that, or, thrive chicken which she absolutely adores.
    As for the volume of pee, Lith goes 3 times a day & it really stinks / very concentrated. Argentium goes once a day & produces a whole bucketful - at least that is what it sound like :) The size of the oko clumps from Poppy vary greatly in size from about a pingpong ball size, to almost a tennis ball.

Gwen9244 likes this.
  8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Franlow - just to mention that Bozita Elk is not a novel protein I'm afraid, as it contains chicken, beef and pork as well as 4% elk. But if she is Ok with beef, pork and chicken that's fine. :)

http://www.bozita.com/cat-food/bozita-feline-wetfood/chunks-jelly-elk/

If Lithium has very concentrated urine regularly it sounds as though she needs more fluids in her diet. Home-made meat broth (e.g. turkey, chicken or duck) often goes down well. or a little diluted goats milk.

9. Franlow

Franlow Guest

Well that shows you what the vets at Pets@home know :) & NO WAY is this my vet, just trawling round trying to find a novel single source protein a couple of years ago, they recommended it!. I really should have checked that one. Guess I'll be trawling Zooplus, Thanks for pointing that out.
    She is really suffering in this hot weather - my house faces South & it is 34 centigrade in my bedroom with the fan on all night! she is having a minor flare up with the ibd
    She does have a small kidney stone which was found just before Xmas when she was having a battery of tests at RVC, they also found Calcium in her lungs, hence the xrays. I always put extra water with her food which she does take in. She is a foot washer rather than a drinker - dips foot in the fountain, then licks that off. I do have some chicken broth in the freezer - the others will eat boiled chicken, she, only drinks the liquid.
    I am attempting to get all the cats on raw. Sodium & Helium eat it with no problems at all, the other 4 are far more suspicious, although, all are now ignoring the small amount of raw food on the plate & eating the rest of the food, so, real progress.

10. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Our boy would sometimes pee while laying on his side. However he would pee anywhere in varying amounts, sometimes several times in small amounts, one after another.

We had just over 10 years of this, and never found out for sure what was wrong, he was tested frequently for UTIs which were generally negative. He continued doing it after he was treated for constipation, which was an ongoing thing, and he had a 'thick bladder'.

Sometimes it was behavioral, for sure as he would pee on my husbands foot in the mornings while he was waiting for the kettle to boil, and anything new in the house, bags of shopping, new boots. He would often pee on me when I cuddled him although he would try to get down first, and often in my pocket.

So I think you have these options:
    1.Behavioral/trying to tell you something which might be feeling hot, discomfort in the bowel or bladder which means it could be..
    2. Side effects of something, meds or food
    3. Thick bladder/irritation
    4. Infection or something more serious.

We exhausted all enquiries and learned to live with the cleaning up, bought Simple Solution in the large containers and loved him anyway. Would love to have him back peeing in my pocket, I miss him so much.

Paddypaws and chillminx like this.
  11. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Just wondering what caused the irritated ear Faye?

Could the ear be connected to a balance issue and that's why he's started to lie down to go?

ETA I have noticed that when the cats wee and it's not in clumping litter it does look as if there is loads!!!! I was horrified when Little H wee'd in the litter tray when I was cleaning it once - it was up to his ankles lol!!!!

LJC675 likes this.
  12. Purplecatlover

Hi @huckybuck I'm not sure what caused the irritated ear - the vet checked a week ago ish and said he saw small white dots in one ear but they weren't moving so just said keep an eye on it and that it wasn't anything. Today she said they were very clear but when looking down through his ear he screamed. And it looked irritated - so she said she was tempted to give ear drops but most cats hate them so gave him an steroid injection she said that should help.

He's been scratching and shaking his head

It may be effecting his balance - never thought about that!!! I'm gonna ring tomorrow and see what they say.

Xx

huckybuck likes this.
  13. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Wondering if he could have an ear infection Faye or mites - just mention it when you call as inner ear easily affects balance. It can give nausea as well.

14. Purplecatlover

I think it may be an infection or something as she didn't find anything at all when she checked. She said it was super clean! She said it just looked really irritated. To be honest the weeing laying down has been since he's been scratching so it would make sense!!! Xx

Paddypaws and huckybuck like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice