Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wedding guest outfit idea help!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by KittenEevee, Jan 20, 2019.

1. KittenEevee

KittenEevee Crazy Cat Lady

I have my cousins wedding at the start of March and I'm looking for an outfit. I am a size 16/18 and really don't feel comfartable anymore in a dress due to my size. I normally wear leggings and a long jumper/tunic dress that covers my bum with my high knee boots, no skin ever showing. I'm really self conscious and have been told I can't wear leggings. I was thinking nice trousers and a lovely top but mum wants me to wear a dress. I've looked in the plus size shops but nothing looks nice on me. I have some beautiful vintage dresses but I don't feel comfortable in them anymore. I don't feel like I'd enjoy the day if I'm wearing a dress.

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I dont see anything wrong with trousers and a nice top.
    But if you feel you need to wear a dress how about pairing it with really high denier tights - Snagg tights do nice ones - and your high boots?
    Have you seen Popsy dresses? Lovely comfy dresses with the added bonus of pockets.

kimthecat likes this.
  3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

How do you feel about maxi dresses? Longer dress, forgiving material, they can be really comfortable. And depending on your body type, either an empire waist or a thicker band of fabric around the smallest part of your waist can be really flattering :)

Alternately, what about wide legged trousers with flowy fabric, they too can give the feel of a dress without feeling like you're wearing a dress :)

Lurcherlad, Happy Paws2 and kimthecat like this.
  4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

What shape are you? I am a similar size but find I can wear some dresses in certain styles which highlight the good bits but hide the not so flattering bits.

tinydestroyer likes this.
  5. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I see nothing wrong with trousers - I wore wide legged trousers and a long frock coat type of coat to my daughter's first wedding.

Lurcherlad, O2.0, Happy Paws2 and 2 others like this.
  6. tinydestroyer

tinydestroyer PetForums Member

What is the attire on the invitation? I'm a vintage lover, myself, and a firm believer that there's a dress out there for everyone, and looking great is more about your body shape than your size. Also, sometimes it helps to get a dress tailored so that it fits everywhere nicely, since nearly nobody fits the standard measurement of off-the-rack sizes. The more the dress (or outfit,) covers, the more likely you are to need tailoring unless you stumble across one of those miraculously perfect-fitting outfits that we all come across once in a blue moon. You might have to use your imagination a bit. Alternstively, finding fabrics / styles with a bit of stretch will help you fit a dress more easily, but generally the more stretchy a fabric is, the less formal it is.

However, if you absolutely feel that you can't relax in a dress, there are certainly womens separates which are lovely. I think you could choose a dressy top and some trousers or a skirt so long as you stick to the dress code requested on the invite. I will say that I don't think leggings will work. Generally, though, people are so busy and caught up at a wedding that they aren't going to fuss over what the guests wear. They want everyone to enjoy themselves. If you are convinced that you can't enjoy yourself in a dress, just wear something in which you'll be reasonably comfortable. Just remember, everyone has to go a bit outside their comfort zone at a wedding - so try to strike a fair balance between enjoying the day and following the dress code. I've worked many years in women's clothing retail, and I'd be happy to help you search if you give me a few more details. Best of luck!

Kim Watcham, Trixie1 and kittih like this.
  7. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I think you should wear what you feel comfortable in .
    I find it odd people wearing black to weddings . It seems to be the fashion now,

8. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

I would go to a department store like John Lewis if you’re in the U.K. and get an appointment with a personal stylist. They give you a free appointment if you buy something and can make some great ideas that may inspire you for other occasions. Maybe take mum with you ;)

I don’t think leggings are suitable for a wedding but thick tights would work but don’t be put off by dresses. Think Christina Hendricks and other curves, I’m a size 16 and wear dresses and rep Bravissimo for nice styles if you need extra boob space. Monsoon have some lovely clothes in their sale too.

9. boxermadsam

boxermadsam PetForums Member

Have you considered a jumpsuit? We were at a fairly posh wedding in September and lots of ladies of all sizes were wearing them and they looked great xx

tinydestroyer likes this.
  10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If you feel more comfortable in trousers then I’d say wear them.

Smart trousers and top would be suitable for a wedding - even a trouser suit.

I don’t do dresses so would not feel happy in one.

11. grumpy goby

grumpy goby Grumpy wench.

I would go with the personal shopper idea... I used to use Debenhams PS all the time!

Personally I’m not one for showing flesh either, and am very self conscious about my wierd shape (I carry all my weight in the middle) and find maxi style dress most flattering whilst still being “dressy”

I love the idea of jump suits but they look awful on me, but if they work for you... rock it!

12. Vanessa131

Vanessa131 PetForums VIP

If you like leggings, have you thought about fitted trousers with a nice tunic over the top?

13. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I am a size 16 and get my dresses from Debenhams I am like you always in leggings,but in Debenhams there are ladies there to help you find a dress that suits,they once brought me a dress I thought was awful on the hanger and not suit my shape but is now my favourite dress

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice