Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Weave poles ☹️

Discussion in 'Dog Agility and Flyball' started by Nicnac49, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Nicnac49

Nicnac49 PetForums Newbie

No progress

#1 Nicnac49, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  2. Oenoke

Oenoke PetForums VIP

What method are you training. I've found channel weaves to be a very long winded process, my last dog took nearly a year to learn to weave using them and it was only when I started using my v-weaves at home (against trainers advise) she started to get the idea. I like to use v-weaves, one of my girls learnt to weave in 3 weeks using v-weaves, I did have them at home and did short 5 minute sessions at least 3 times daily.

3. Nicnac49

Nicnac49 PetForums Newbie

I thank you for taking the time to reply to my rubbish post. I started to write my woes then lost heart.
    We were taught with mesh on the sides and gradually removed this. He 'got it'.
    He then slipped back and for months and months we have been static with no consistency at all
    We practice several times a week. Maybe 7 run throughs of 6 poles. There is no pattern at all to which and how many of those he gets right.
    I have now decided to start again with a different method. It will do us both a heap of good to try something fresh.
    We have begun following the 2 by 2 Mary Ellen Barry method.

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

My dog learnt two by two. She picked it up very quickly and became very reliable - weaves actually became one of her strong points!

Never tried another method so can’t comment.

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

My first dog was trained by push-pull at club training. It was 3 years before her weaves were good and consistent in competition. My next 3 were trained with channels at home, and all have great, independent weaves. I started with guide wires and a wide open channel, just getting them to run through. Kite started when she was about 8 months, the younger 2 from about 6 months. Of course I didn't start closing the channel at all until all were over a year old, and did just a few run-throughs each day. I've never tried 2 x 2's, though know several people who swear by them. V-weaves tend to lead to dogs that weave with the head held higher, which is usually slower.

6. Oenoke

Oenoke PetForums VIP

I've heard people say that v-weaves lead to dogs with higher head carriage through the weaves, but I've trained 3 dogs with v-weaves and none of them have a higher head carriage, they all 'flatten' into the weaves and drive forward.

7. speug

speug PetForums VIP

Angus learned by push-pull - it took a while but he's got really good weaves (only recently persuaded him it's ok to weave on the right but that was my lack of spacial ability not his). Cuillin started with 2x2 he got the basic idea not too bad but then got stuck at only being able to weave in one situation - every time we changed a variable it all fell apart again. I think he managed 2 12pole and 1 6pole weaves in competition last year but is finally getting the hang of it (hopefully) this year.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice