Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Weaning!!

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Missymoo, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Missymoo

Missymoo PetForums Senior

Ok so we're on day 2 our little b+w has taken to it like a duck to water as soon as he smelt it his head was in lol!! but the other 3 dont want to know?? the little back boy may have a nibble on a biscuit but just walks away from the wet?? any ideas

Thanks in advance xx

2. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

They will all have their own ideas on this,just give them time:D
    mashed up wet kitten food is a good place to start,they cant really mange biscuits til a bit later on.

3. Missymoo

Ooh forgot to say im popping a little on there nose to lick off is that ok??

4. Missymoo

He seems to be doing ok lol and i am wetting it slightly

5. shortbackandsides

you should really soak dry food at first so its a mush,they will take it more readily then;)
    mashed up kitten pouches is much easier.

6. Missymoo

They are having mashed kitten pouches of fish!! and dry food is placed in there aswell

7. shortbackandsides

mine will play with the dry biscuits(they are 4 weeks)some are nibbling them but i think they find them a bit hard at the moment as most are being scattered on the floor!
    I tend to start with kitten pouches mashed with kitten milk,then cut out the milk,and just give the meat.eventually you dont have to mash it and they eat the dry also,this is the easier part:)

8. Missymoo

Lovely mine are also 4 weeks i've had the dry in for a while but only started on wet monday i shall just keep putting little bits in then

Thanks

9. bimbleweb

bimbleweb PetForums Member

Ours are 4 weeks old too. We leave RC baby cat dry and give them RC baby cat mousse which they love! Mum eats it too now, which is good 'cause she is so thin at the moment :(

10. Missymoo

Oooh same here!! my Missy has lost so much weight!! so im happy she is sharing with the babies hopefully it will help too

11. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Just to say that after 20mins of dry food being soaked bacteria started to grow on it!

We used to do this for Elvis and was warned off of it as we would leave it down, never realized it could be bad :(

Anyway! Just leave them too it really! mash up the wet meat, put a little on paws & mouth so they get used to licking, let them explore, maybe a bit of raw meat to??? :D

Mine didnt eat biccis until 8 & 12 weeks!

Its only day 2 so no need to worry! ::)

12. pollyandus

pollyandus PetForums Newbie

Polly's 2 kittens are 7 weeks old today. They've been eating Hi Life wet sachets for a few weeks now with a daily feed from mum (when she's in the mood). I have RC and PAH Purely dried kitten food down as well and they do eat both but I'm a bit concerned because they don't seem to know how to drink. They put their noses in water or Cimicat and sometimes their paws but they haven't figured out that they need to use their tongues. :confused:

13. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Try runny scrambled egg to help them learn to lap - or cimicat made up. Mine took a week or two to catch on. Slowly but surely with lots of different tastes.

14. pollyandus

pollyandus PetForums Newbie

Thanks Spid, I'll try some different tastes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice