Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

weaning

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by archielee, May 9, 2010.

1. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

mummy's milk has almost dryad up now, puppies are eating the puppy dry food do you think its safe for them to eat it at 5 week?

2. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I don't like to let them eat dry until 12 weeks purely because it is harder for them to digest as the surface area is much smaller if its not mush.

3. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Like Tanya, I generally soak the food up to about 12 weeks, I am assuming however that you started switching them onto dried food while they were still feeding off mum?

I've had a bitch stop feeding by 5 weeks (pesky teeth you know ;)) and another bitch who has happily been feeding any remaining pups at 10/11 weeks.

4. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

Yes i started to switch them over about a week and a bit now, mum is not feeding them at much now her boobs dont look at full as they did, all my dogs was on puppy dry when they came to me at 8 weeks 10 weeks and 11 weeks, i will go back to soaking the food again

5. czenios

czenios PetForums Junior

Our experience , breeding chows for many years, is that you are doing the correct thing. Have in mind that there is a big possibility for the mom to suffer with mastitis if you leave the puppies to be fed after the 4th week ,only by her.

6. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

I would think its better for puppies to go to new home all on dry food, they will leave at 8 weeks:(

7. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

All mine are rehomed on soaked (in water not milk) food. Makes it much easier to digest. Mum would regurgitate food until about 16 weeks if she was doing it herself.

8. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

i actually lost one of my babies who choked on a dry kibble. it was a terrible experiance:( she was 6 weeks old when it happened and it wasnt the first time she had dried kibble ) i had always gone from soaked to dry by about 6 weeks but never,ever again.my puppies leave me on soaked/mashed arden grange now

9. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

I see ok will keep them on the wet then, thanks

10. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

OMG thats so sad, what age do they go to new homes?

11. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

mine leave at 8 weeks as long as i feel they are ready which they normally are:)

12. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Mine left at 8 weeks old, as long as they are eating and drinking independantly then they are ok...:thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice