Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Weaning question/advice

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Megan Carpenter, May 8, 2020.

1. Megan Carpenter

Megan Carpenter PetForums Junior

So my mother cat has 5 kitten who are almost 3 weeks old. I’m starting to look into weaning as I know that’ll start within the next few weeks. Currently Luna is on Royal Canin Mother & Baby cat as we were given a bag, and likes it (she’s also only 7 months herself). She also loves the Whiskers kitten jelly pouches (literally goes mad over them!). She eats like a horse! Constantly meowing for food and as she’s nursing I make sure she has some available always.
    My question is, I’m planning to use the mother & baby cat for the kittens too. What is the best way and liquid to use to soak the kibble so it’s a slop for the kittens to start with? Water, kitten milk?
    Also, do I offer them wet food too or just the kibble?
    Thanks in advance :)

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I wouldn't soak the kibble at all. It is not a good idea to make it wet as it contains bacteria and fungus which are activated once the kibble becomes damp.

It would be better not to wean the kittens on to dry food, Wet food is much healthier for them.

We do not wean our kittens at the Shelter on to dry food, only wet.. Usually we use Felix AGAIL Kitten food simply because we can buy it very cheaply from the manufacturer as we are a Rescue.

Chop up the wet cat food and mash it with a little water so it is like a slop and then put it on a large flat plate so the kittens can get their little faces right into it. Be prepared for them to get messy (some do). ;)

You are right to feed mum cat whenever she asks for food. As she is nursing kittens she would be better on wet food than dry. She needs a high fluid intake to make milk.

Whiskas Kitten food is not very nourishing for mum; she would be better on a more nourishing wet food. Reasonably priced tinned wet foods can be bought online from Zooplus and are better quality than Whiskas. The following foods are low in carbs and high in meat protein as cats need from their diet:

Macs:
    https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/macs/cans/680977

Feringa Classic:
    https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/feringa_wet_cat_food/842711

Animonda Carny:
    https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/rafine/animonda_carny_adult/585477

Smilla :
    https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/smilla/smilla_poultry_pot/588895

#2 chillminx, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
  3. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Our kittens start eating off mums plate at 3 weeks, no need to mix with water or milk. I wouldn't start with kibble.

They don't get messy, as they can easily eat off the plate.

You'll also want to place a litter tray in their area once they're eating.

lorilu and Megan Carpenter like this.
  4. Megan Carpenter

Thank you! I’ll have a look at those food links. We only have whiskers because we were given a few pouches a friends kitten didn’t like, so thought I’d try it! I’ll avoid soaking kibble and wean them onto wet food. When their teeth are in I can leave down kibble too as they’ll see mum eating it and I know it’s good for their teeth.
    Thanks for the advice! Fab as always :) I am excited for the next few weeks!

chillminx likes this.
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

No. Kibble is not good for their teeth. That's a fallacy invented by pet food manufacturers to sell product. Kibble is high in carbs and (if they bite it at all) the crumbs stick to the teeth and between the teeth where it turns to sugar, then bacteria, growing plaque and tartar. It does not "clean teeth".

I would transition your cat to an all wet diet and never give the kittens kibble at all.

6. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Around 4-5 weeks they'll start to steal mums chicken wingette, those are good for teeth :)
    As Lorilu said, kibble does nothing for teeth.

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes, Lorilu's advice is always excellent. :)

8. Megan Carpenter

Thank you everyone for the advice and your help! :)

9. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

I've just picked up the age of the mum... So she was only 6 months when she birthed the kittens? And 4 months when she got pregnant? If so, you are going to need to pile food into her, as this poor little mite is just a baby herself! So will still be growing.

I'm assuming they all will be spayed/neutered now?

10. Megan Carpenter

Yeah poor thing was abandoned and turned up on my doorstep heavily pregnant! 5 days later she gave birth. Vet thought she was probably born around September last year so she’s very young herself! We’ve been giving her wet and dry food and she’s been eating lots!
    She will be spayed as soon as possible and the kittens are only 3 weeks old but they will be spayed/neutered as well :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice