Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

weaning pups

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Wilky, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Wilky

Wilky PetForums Junior

any advice on how to wean pups? is it best to give them meat or puppy biscuits? if buscuits is it best to mix them with water/gravy or someting similar to soften them or leave them dry?

2. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Hi,
    We used to pour on boiling water to soften and leave it to cool before giving to them.
    We also gave them a little raw minced beef,put in the liquidizer with warm water.I wouldn't use gravy as it can have a high salt content.

Be prepared for the mess Lol,they walk through it etc ;)

3. Wilky

Wilky PetForums Junior

thanks

we've just bought 2 15kg sacks of adult wagg and 2 10kg puppy sacks of wagg so well stocked

4. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

wagg is not the best food to feed dogs on,james wellbeloved is much better quality

5. kellystewart

kellystewart PetForums Senior

not the best ingredients and cheap BUT i have to admit my dogs did very well on this (were fed on this for about a year) and even the vet commented on their condition being excellent.

Go with what your dogs will eat well and what gives them good condition, weight gain and nice firm (not smelly poo's)

I usually use hot water (not boiling as this supposedly kills a lot of the vitamins etc and renders them useless) to soften the puppy kibble down and mix with meat (whatever I have tripe, chicken, beef etc) so it's a nice porridge like consistency. And yes they will make a loooot of mess lol

Then as they get older I start to make it less runny and more crunchy...and eventually give them free access to puppy kibble as well as the puppy mixture I give them every few hours.

#5 kellystewart, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  6. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

i start with goats milk and organic baby rice for about 4 days then soften/soak puppy kibble and add a little goats milk for a week then add a little puppy meat/mince:) plus dont forget the worming every two weeks;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice