Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Weaning puppies

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by mark2020, Jan 14, 2021.

1. mark2020

mark2020 PetForums Junior

Hi

mum looking for more advice please
    The puppies are 4weeks now. They have levelled out on putting weight on and not gaining it really now they are still feeding off mum .
    I have tried weaning they not taking to it at the moment I know they need to start to eat soon or they will start losing weight and that’s not good.
    Any suggestions on the food. I’m feeding pedigree puppy dry mix soaked in lactol and water .
    Should I keep mum away from them in the day see if that will make them eat. thanks

2. David C

David C PetForums Senior

No leave mum with them. They will start eating when they are ready. Get a tin of butchers chicken and tripe food. Mush some of it up with abit or warm boiled water and get some on your fingers and rub it gently inside their mouths so they get a taste for it. Do this a couple of times and place them in front of the plate so they can sniff it. They will most likely walk in it get it all over themselves but num will clean it off them when you let her back into them after you have tried. It can take a good few days to get them trying to eat properly. Ince they are eating that then start mixing the butchers into the mashed soaked puppy kibble. But don't stop mum from feeding them as often as they want her atm they are only 4 weeks old.

3. mark2020

Hi

thanks for your advice and taking the time for me. I will give that a go

thanks
    Mark

David C likes this.
  4. David C

David C PetForums Senior

You're welcome.

5. mark2020

Me again.

today I had to take mum to vets as one of her glads had a lump in it and she wasn’t well at all. She’s fine now tho gone on antibiotics and vet has said dry her milk up with a 5 day course. Tbh mum looks and seems so much better now. The 4 pups I have seem ok if mum goes in to them they go mad feeding for 5 min the last few days I have been trying to wean them they not taking to it very well tho. mum going to feed royal canine puppy dry socked in water then add royal canine puppy wet food sashes blend it up and give them that but they turned there nose up at it.

6. David C

David C PetForums Senior

Try butchers tins to start them as I said. Give it warm. Its smelly and they will take to it better. They are only 4 weeks old. What antibiotics has he prescribed mum. If its synulox or clavamox or noroclav, puppies will be fine feeding from her. What did the vet say was wrong

7. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It sounds as though your bitch had mastitis.

Do I understand correctly that your Vet has advised you to dry Mum's milk off?

If so, that's what you must do.

There is no point at all allowing your pups to feed from Mum and then offering them food. They won't be hungry.

Take Mum away, let the pups be ready to eat and try them on something softer and easier to eat, such as baby rice or rice pudding.

Blitz likes this.
  8. mark2020

Hi tabs are clavudale and metrobactin one twice a day.

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Have you asked your vet why they have put your bitch on an antibiotic that is not safe for nursing bitches. There are a lots of antibiotics that will work just as well and are safe. Does she have mastitis, in which case that is a different matter, but I would discuss it with your vet and say you are not happy to have to separate them this early unless if it absolutely necessary

David C likes this.
  10. mark2020

Hi
    Yes she has mastitis it seemed to come on fast Friday evening she went downhill and I could feel quite a big lump inside I tried to clear it overnight but nothing vet advised to stop feeding and stop the milk also the pups at just over 4 weeks have now started to eat soft food and they have their teeth I see mum struggling with feeding. Today mum is a lot happier back to her old self I think the vet made the right call and pups seem to be doing ok.

David C likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice