Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Weaning onto Solids

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by sjreilly72, Jul 24, 2009.

1. sjreilly72

sjreilly72 PetForums Member

I was just wondering when to start the kittens onto solids, well mushy solids.

Can someone please advise as thet seem to be hungry all the time and Twink is getting a bit peeved to say the least. They are 4 weeks today.

I have had them in a paddling pool for the last 10 days as a whelping box was just too expensive ! but they have now managed to get out of this now...oh the joys of kittens lol, I wouldn't swap them for the world and I am going to miss them so much when the go to there new homes.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

#1 sjreilly72, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  2. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

You can start weaning now. Different people have different methods. I start them off on diluted evap for a day or two then I add a little cooked white fish or cooked chicken (finely chopped). You can just try them on Whiskas/Felix kitten food but make sure it is well mashed and add a little warm water to it. Alternately you can dry them on Royal Canin Babycat biscuits but again add some water to soften them.

3. sjreilly72

Thanks ChinaBlue,

By evap I am assuming you mean evaporated milk, the realy sweet stuff??

Would you give both evap and kitten food , or just one of the two ?

I will try and upload some photos of them in the "pool"

Its just so nice to be back online...I live in Dartford and I lost all power for 72 HOURS SOLID....NOT FUN :eek:ut: espesh with a dark carpet and fairly dark kittens that wont stay in the "Pool":cursing:

#3 sjreilly72, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  4. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

Lol...either or! I started off with just diluted evap and then after a day or two I mushed up a pouch of Whiskas/Felix kitten and added some diluted evap to it....kittens enjoyed it...didn't look that appetitising though!

5. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

the really sweet stuff is condensed milk!!!
    i start around 3/4 weeks on mashed up kitten pouches,either whiskas or hilife,also royal canin baby cat biscuits,soaked at first the after a couple of weeks,dry:)

6. sjreilly72

Thank you for all your replies I have tried the evaporated milk diluted and they love it ,problem is so does Twinkle lol, so when she is around they don't get a look in. I have been doing this for a couple of days now So I will now try the mashed up kittten food and evap.
    How many times a day should I be doing this as I don't want to over feed them?? or Let Twink think she is no longer required !!

7. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Remember to add some litter trays to the pool! :)

8. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

I would give them a plate between them say four times a day and as they get bigger increase the quantity and start cutting back on the evap after a couple of days - it is just to introduce them to the food. I also once I have stopped putting the evap on just add a tablespoon or two of warm water to the kitten food just to ensure they are getting enough liquid. Give it a week or so and you could try to sprinkle a few kitten biscuits in with the wet food.
    The diluted evap should be okay for mum too - shouldn't upset her stomach like ordinary milk. It's fine if she eats the kitten food as she still needs all those extra calories etc the kitten food gives for a few weeks yet.

As Mellowma says - you should start litter training too. About 10 minutes after they have eaten start putting them into the litter tray; you will probably do this several times before they get the idea!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice