Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

weaning kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by bindinscooby, Jun 28, 2009.

1. bindinscooby

bindinscooby PetForums Newbie

hi
    i am after some advise aout weaning kittens. bindi's babies are 5 weeks and 1 day old now but still totally dependant on bindi. is this normal?
    also how do i get them to start eating cat food. i have tried dapping a spoon with it on onto their mouths so they llick their lips which they do but then turn away. also if i leave food down for the kittens bindi comes along and eats it.
    i have also tried to put a bit on the top of their feet so when they clean themselves they taste it .
    any advice would greatly help.
    thank you

2. bimbleweb

bimbleweb PetForums Member

5 weeks is normal. What food have you tried giving them so far?
    We leave Royal Canin Baby cat dry food in with the kittens and mum at all times. Mummy cat eats it and the kittens copy her. If you haven't tried it yet, you could try Royal Canin Baby cat mouse. It is very soft and smells strongly to atract the kittens. If they are still reluctant, try warming it up for them, it will make the smell stronger and they won't be able to resist it. :)

3. bindinscooby

bindinscooby PetForums Newbie

been trying with whiskas kitten food.
    will try the dry food and the mouse thing.
    thanks for your advice

4. spid

spid PetForums VIP

IMHO - Whiskas is pants (4% meat) and they are very wise not to want to eat it.

However, I started my off with mush so they could lap it up - I got some milk replacement powder (Cimicat)and made it up and stirred it into a little bit of cat food (Natures menu in this case) and dipped their noses in it. They also began on scrambled egg made up with the same milk. Then I used strong smelling foods (the fish varieties that seem to stink to me) again Natures Menu and Hi-life. They aslo have a little bit of Applaws. They are now 5 weeks and 5 days and are fab at eating, drinking from the water fountain and using their litter trays. By the way, I don't use kitten food as the high quality stuff is easily good enough for them now and has a much greater range of flavours. Now they eat basically anything - oh, except dry - they don't seem to like my JWB (sensible souls).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice