UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get the dogs back onto dry food by saturday, would it be best to just take them off the raw and put them straight back onto the dry or would it be better to do it over a week by putting them on more and more dry and less raw over a week?:confused:

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right I'll do that then thankies, its only for a week while they are on holidays, their holiday mummy is a vegetarian so Im not going to ask her to feed animal parts that actually look like animal parts ;)

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
Right I'll do that then thankies, its only for a week while they are on holidays, their holiday mummy is a vegetarian so Im not going to ask her to feed animal parts that actually look like animal parts ;)
I wouldn't do that and I'm not vegetarian!

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
I fed breakfast of dry then evening meal of raw the week before we went to the caravan, then it was just dry when we went, luckily there was a shop I got bits of raw from for them.

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't do that and I'm not vegetarian!
I dont think I would ask anyone who doesnt raw feed to do it, some of the stuff they have is really grizzly looking, but I think asking a vegitarian to do it would be a bit of an insult really.

·
Registered
17,498 Posts
I dont think I would ask anyone who doesnt raw feed to do it, some of the stuff they have is really grizzly looking, but I think asking a vegitarian to do it would be a bit of an insult really.
My Mum is a vegetarian and I make her do it :p

She's fine with it, she has no issues with others eating meat particularly the dogs because its what they would naturally eat. She whinges about tripe but that's about it :D

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Mum is a vegetarian and I make her do it :p

She's fine with it, she has no issues with others eating meat particularly the dogs because its what they would naturally eat. She whinges about tripe but that's about it :D
Mums dont count, I ask my mum to do things that I would never ask anyone else, us mums arent allowed to get offended I dont think, Im sure its written in a mum contract somewhere ;)

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
Mums dont count, I ask my mum to do things that I would never ask anyone else, us mums arent allowed to get offended I dont think, Im sure its written in a mum contract somewhere ;)
Well I don't know if it counts, but a week before they were going on holiday my daughter's boyfriend, who lived with us, bought an iguana and thought he was just going to go off for a fortnight and leave me to feed it live crickets. Apart from the fact that I was scared of it no way was I going to do that.

His idea was that I wouldn't have a choice because he knew I wouldn't let it go hungry but I told him that I would phone the reptile shop and ask them if they wanted a free iguana, which had cost him a lot of money. He got someone else to feed it in the end.

I told him he could have a pet lizard not a bloody prehistoric monster!

And then my other daughter was going on holiday and thought I was going to give her rabbit his daily injections! No chance. I said I would take him to the vet every day and she could pay, but no way was I injecting him.

We don't seem to have a mummy contract in this house.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I'm veggie. I feed raw, I'm not fond of it lol but I just have to remind myself it's best for the boys.

Could you maybe use minces for a week if she'd be up to that? Just a case of emptying a bag into a bowl then. Nothing that looks like animal.

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm veggie. I feed raw, I'm not fond of it lol but I just have to remind myself it's best for the boys.

Could you maybe use minces for a week if she'd be up to that? Just a case of emptying a bag into a bowl then. Nothing that looks like animal.
I really wouldnt like to even ask, I think she would find even feeding mince unpleasant as she doesnt even handle meat for anyone in the family, and it would still take up freezer/fridge space. I dont think it will do them any harm for just over a week, they wont mind for holiday mummy, she is literally their favourite person out of the immediate family.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Couldn't she even feed it frozen?

Personally I'd find alternative arrangements for someone to look after my dogs if they wouldn't feed the diet I choose for them.

I think it's extremely rude of the person in question to expect the dogs (and you) to change their diet because of her meat hangups.

I know it's all done now but you should never feed raw and dry together. They digest in a completely different way and it could cause problems.

I'm sure this person loves looking after your dogs but she shouldn't be able to dictate what they eat.

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
Couldn't she even feed it frozen?

Personally I'd find alternative arrangements for someone to look after my dogs if they wouldn't feed the diet I choose for them.

I think it's extremely rude of the person in question to expect the dogs (and you) to change their diet because of her meat hangups.

I know it's all done now but you should never feed raw and dry together. They digest in a completely different way and it could cause problems.

I'm sure this person loves looking after your dogs but she shouldn't be able to dictate what they eat.
And I am sure the poster is extremely grateful to have someone reliable whom she trusts to care for her dogs. I should have thought the way they are treated while she is away is far more important than what they are fed. It's not as though they are going to be given Bakers while with this person, is it?

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wouldnt trust anyone else to look after the dogs, this is one very slight allowance Im having to make, Im prepared to make it simply because she is so good at what she does. When she first started caring for them they were dry fed and I have put them onto raw since then knowing that for two weeks every year they will need to go onto dry again. Its unfair to say that she is dictating what they eat, to be fair to her I havent (and wont) ask her to feed meat, Im aware of her views regarding it, it isnt such a big problem to me to change their food for a short while, neither of them have digestive problems and both have made food changeovers easily in the past. I think for a holiday period their mental well being and overall safety is parmount and I know they will be safe and happy with her.

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
could you not get her to feed them wet for the week, not as hard as weaning back to dry?
Did you mean it would be hard to get them to eat the dry? they seem fine with eating the dry, theyve had some in with their dinner tonight, or did you mean it would be easier for their stomachs to get used to?

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I really wouldnt like to even ask, I think she would find even feeding mince unpleasant as she doesnt even handle meat for anyone in the family, and it would still take up freezer/fridge space. I dont think it will do them any harm for just over a week, they wont mind for holiday mummy, she is literally their favourite person out of the immediate family.
I agree completely. You really don't want to push it if you have such a good friend. My friend looked after Abi and I was a bit embarassed asking her to make up frozen Kongs!

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Did you mean it would be hard to get them to eat the dry? they seem fine with eating the dry, theyve had some in with their dinner tonight, or did you mean it would be easier for their stomachs to get used to?
I mean easier on their stomach :)

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I mean easier on their stomach :)
I might ask her about feeding that, although Ive started them on some of the dry now so I could be causing them more confusion digestively :confused:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.