Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Weaning age?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kidsandcats, Aug 5, 2009.

1. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

Hi Guys
    I spoke to the breeder who we are getting our kittens from last night to arrange another visit and she said that the two we are having are getting on great. They are 5 weeks old now and she said the rest of the litter are eating solids as well now but our two aren't. Now the first thought I had was great, the longer they have Mum's milk the better. But now I am thinking what if she is weaning them too early. I thought the reason they stay with Mum until 8 weeks is because that's how long they need the milk for? Is the breeder forcing solids on them too young? Or do you wean and they still feed from Mum at 5 weeks??:eek:ut:
    Any thoughts from experienced breeders would be good. Not that I can do much about it anyway!!:(

2. andywest

andywest PetForums Junior

My cat has just had kittens, and i've been researching online and kittens can start weaning from 4 weeks onwards so there is nothing to worry about

3. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

I'm confused as to why yours aren't eating solids. Is it because they don't want to or the breeder isn't letting them? They will still drink mums milk right up until the day they leave (if mum lets them!)

4. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Hiya they start to wean about 4-5-6weeks

They still have the odd drink if mummy lets them! How do you know they sre not eating solids? has she watched them 24/7 as they might be!

5. kidsandcats

Not sure for definate why they are not eating. I will ask tomorrow when we go and visit again. She just said on the phone that they haven't shown any interest yet but the other two are eating solids really well. Hope it isn't a problem then if it is normal to wean at this age. I just thought it was young as when we got our kittens from Cat's Protection last year the fosterer said that they need to have milk until 8 weeks, they were being hand reared as they were dumped at 5 weeks old. So I just thought that they had solely milk until nearer 8 weeks. It was probably then that they needed milk as well as solid food and they wouldn't let them go until they would be okay on just solids. Thanks for your advice everyone!
    Sharon
    x

6. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

Hi Sharon!

My breeder threw me today as she rang and said I could pick them up this weekend!

Kori :confused:

7. kidsandcats

Wow, they must have got on well with their solids then. Are you a bit worried about them not having their Mum's milk for a bit longer though?
    Sharon
    x

8. nanamoo

nanamoo PetForums Member

made a boo boo lol misread posts

9. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

Yes I am - but then I worry about pretty much everything so I'm just hoping things will be OK!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice