Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Weaning advice pls.

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Laura Morris, May 1, 2017.

1. Laura Morris

Laura Morris PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I'm new here. We had our first litter of puppies at the end of March and they are now 4 1/2 weeks old. We have started offering them some meals but they just don't seem that interested. Should they be by now? Mum is doing a great job and they are growing well.
    Teeth are emerging so I'm expecting mum to be less keen to nurse as much. I've asked a few friends who have bred pups and they all say the pups were really interested in the food straight away? I tried the mum and baby food with water and mashed up, and have now bought some starter mousse (which they are keener on).
    so my questions are; how often should I be feeding them at this stage? (twice at the mo and access to mum) should I be removing mum from them for a few hours? She basically has access to them whenever she wants. She'll feed and leave but be back a few hours later...

Thanks

2. SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog PetForums VIP

Typically pups at that she ate interested in eating food. I would try to find some really good smelling can food. You want them to keep away from mom for a bit, if their stomachs are full of milk they probably won't feel hungry.

Laura Morris likes this.
  3. Laura Morris

Laura Morris PetForums Newbie

Thank you. I have bought the starter mousse that they like more so and am planning on coking some chicken/fish for them today. How often would you be offering food to them? I've just tried again, a few licks of the food and a massive bought of playing!! Argh!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice