Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

We went racing!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sharloid, Dec 7, 2014.

1. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

This weekend we went to our first sled dog rally ever at Sherwood forest. The OH ran in the open 3 dog class both days, I think the trail was around 3.5 miles.

Saturday the weather was brilliant, dry and -6 when we arrived. They had a good run and finished in the middle. Today didn't go as well. It had rained heavily which meant the course was very muddy and we have puddle divers! They also found it a bit warm. The mud meant the course was slippery and Rob wasn't able to help up the hills. They also got stuck behind a team both days and weren't able to pass which meant using the brakes a lot more than we'd like. We had to leave before the awards ceremony/results but I think we came in the middle of the class again.

I'm really proud of the dogs though. I know they can do better but it's a totally different environment to training and not a 'style' of running that they are used to. After the run they had to head back to the car passed all the vans and dogs and they completely ignored them, happily trotting down the trail.

Sadly I didn't get any pictures as I was handling but thanks to SLB who was there taking pictures and got some of my guys:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    They look tiny compared to my OH :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that's our first weekend of racing over! We aren't entered into any others and Kindra has come in to season so we'll have to see. This one was local and the others are a couple of hours drive. To be honest it's a lot of waiting round for not much running. We're never going to be competitive as we don't have the dogs for it and we were against people with experience but I think we all had fun. :)

2. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

Awesome thanks for sharing and great pics, the first looks strangely animated.

Glad you enjoyed it as well as the dogs :)

3. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

It looks and sounds like huge fun; great first attempt :thumbup1:.

4. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

What great fun for the dogs, they must really enjoy it.
    Great photos too.

5. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

Great photos! Glad you all had a good time, they're all gorgeous, but Kindra :001_tt1:

6. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

Just got the results and we came 5th out of 9! Super proud of the pups, Rob was the biggest competitor and we have some of the smallest dogs so they were pulling the most weight per kilo. Good dogs. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice