Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

we`ve finally got a new house!!! (+pond question)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Leah84, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

well anyone who remembers me will probably remember everything that happened with that thing living next door to me - not one to hold grudges normally but i`ll never be able to forgive that. i`ve wanted to move ever since and we came so close a few times but then had fallen through and it amounted to nothing.

recently however we found a house that we loved to bits and decided just to go for it and put a bid in after viewing it and it got accepted :D oh`s parents had been dead set against us moving as this place has been in the family for nearly 100 years but i think they could see that living near the witch was just stressing us all out and they jumped on board to help us!!

basically we`ve got a great house and the garden out back is 4 times bigger than the garden we currently have so plenty of room for jake and my daughter, not to mention we now have a front garden too AND the house is on a privately owned dead end road so very little traffic plus kids my daughter`s age on the street. it`s perfect, quiet little place but yet only a 2 min walk into the centre with all the shops so really convenient too and the best part of it all? the neighbours are lovely :D

do have one question though, we agreed with the owners we`d keep the fish pond on as otherwise they`d have to move the fish and it seemed pointless as it looks lovely in the garden and i had wanted fish anyway. i am a little worried though about the cats and dogs with the pond - there`s already a roof on to protect them from birds but i need something to stop the other animals from getting in. does anyone know where i can buy a good quality net that`s not too expensive? not even sure a net would work?

2. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Your greatest fear should be from the animals with wings...namely, the heron!

Whilst the cats and the dogs will gladly use the pond as a source of fresh water, the heron will use the pond as a dinner table. ;)

The nets can be bought quite cheaply from any garden center or aquarium.
    :)

3. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

the birds aren`t a major problem as i said we have a roof on the pond so stops them seeing it from the sky, will only be a problem if they happen to land in the garden for some reason. i just have visions of jake bringing me in some fresh fish for tea :eek:

4. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

how big is the pond ? My mum has a couple of bits of wire trellis that is coated in a black plastic, they are very strong and wired together in the middle a small child could fall on it and it would hold their weight. Hers is a rectangle pond though so a bit easier than a odd shaped one.

5. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

it`s not very big, at a guess i`d say 3ft x 2ft and is rectangular. could be a little bigger but i wouldn`t say much more than that if it was. not sure whether it`d be best to put the net directly across the pond or to attach it to the posts holding the roof up meaning that it`s be vertical around the pond rather than horizontal across

6. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

I would be a bit wary of net hung on the posts verticlly as birds could get trapped in it if their silly enough and i'm not sure if frogs would get trapped in one if you put it across the pond :confused: I'm going to mums tomorrow i think, i'll get you a photo of what she's done :)

a more long term solution would be this http://www.pondsafety.com/product.html should be too expensive for a tiny pond. We had one here when we moved in it was tiny and only had two fish in which i rehomed to my dads huge pond, then filled it in as i didn't want the constant worry with a toddler.

#6 Pointermum, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  7. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Im sure some hardware stores have netting or garden centres :) and congrats on new home and best luck :)

8. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Rather than putting a net over it why not put a nice fence round it then that way it is safe from Jake and your daughter and her friends will not be able to get near to it. The fish will then be safe from Jake and more importantly the children will be safe away from the pond.

9. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

yeah i thought about a fence but if i done that then i`d be as well removing the pond as i wouldn`t be able to see it since it would be covered from all angles. tbh the whole point of putting a net on was to keep them both out but yet still be able to see it but my daughter`s also old enough to know to stay clear of it (or at least she should be :lol: )

10. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

we fenced ours off because the dogs kept dragging the pond plants out and eating em:rolleyes:....it only cost about £20 to do it, im afraid this is the best pic i can find...so excuse the lump in the way:tongue_smilie: lol

[​IMG]

11. danielled

danielled Guest

Yes Mr Heron took most of my fish.

Leah I will have a look for a good but affordable net for you and let you know prices as I am looking for a net too for my pond after loseing 20+ fish to the heron.:( I was planning on getting a net anyway but been sorting the flags out but think I can get a net now and more fish at some point.

12. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

i forgot to say - the pond is raised off the ground by a few feet so no risk of accidently falling in. i found a pic from the estate agents website where you can see the side of the pond, i don`t think it`s very up to date though as th roof on it doesn`t look as good as it is now but you can see the sides already have a net it`s just basically something to cover the top to stop the cats and dogs bringing me some nice fish for tea.

so sorry to hear about your fish danielle :( would be great if you could let me know when you find a net so i can have a look! i never even thought of chicken wire fence haha i just automatically thought wooden black out fence :eek:

Attached Files:

13. danielled

danielled Guest

Will find out prices and let you know. Are there already fish in it.

14. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

yeah there`s a good few in it, the previous owners have never had a problem with birds or anything and the fish have been in there a few years now :)

15. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

Wow thats a nice pond (i would kill for a patio like that right now!) and looks a bit bigger than you said :p TBH with it raised like that i don't think the dog would want to jump up and sit on the wall as it looks too narrow so he wouldn't be able to fish from it and i've never known a cat to take fish from a pond again where it's raised the water level is probally not to the top so they would have to lean in with a chance of falling in. I would wait and see how it goes. You can't be too careful with little-uns though it only takes a ball to fall in or something when your not watching and they try to get it out.

16. danielled

danielled Guest

We hadn't until a week ago and two of the fish that were in there had been in there for a few years heron hadn't been for ages then it decided to come and take my fish.:(

17. Mr Gizmo

Mr Gizmo Body of a Buddah.

18. danielled

danielled Guest

My mums friend told me not to bother with the plastic herons as they never work she got one and she still lost her fish to the heron. She has a net now apparrantly and got rid of the plastic heron.

19. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

i`m in love with the patio i have to admit it was the garden that sold the house for me. the steps at the back lead up to the grassy area which is split into 3 different sections all about the same size as the patio (although the very back section is just piled with junk so probably won`t be able to use that for quite some time till we`ve got it all sorted. i hadn`t really thought of the cats being too afraid to fall in, i just know lacey is a dope though and she`s fallen in the bath full of water at times so wouldn`t put anything past her haha twix on the other hand wouldn`t go near it other than to perhaps lay and watch the fish swim like he used to with our tropical tank. i`m always getting sizes wrong lol my oh laughs at me when i try to mentally work out the length of things :eek:

thanks for that link, never heard of plastic herons before but they do look quite nice. i guess having one as a decoration couldn`t hurt :)

#19 Leah84, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  20. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

ooh that pond is beautiful!

We have a raised pond (it's wooden and looks like a bloomin jaccuzi) and a heron managed to get a couple of our fish once :(

all we have done is made a wooden frame and stapled strong chicken wire on to it, that way you can still put your hand into the pond (kids love having their fingers nibbled by the fish lol....and I am a big kid :lol:) and if the dog jumps onto it, it shouldn't collapse in like netting could. It also keeps mr heron away!

It cost us next to nothing to make, can be easily lifted on or off and is incredibly useful :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice