Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

We proudly present to you: Hattur

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SinneJ, Jun 10, 2018.

1. SinneJ

SinneJ PetForums Member

Today our lovely new Spanish boy arrived by plain in the Netherlands and travelled with us to his new forever home in Belgium. He behaved perfectly and seems very comfortable with us. He's sprinted around our yard and was rolling around in the grass like a lunatic.

He already ate and drank a bit and did his thing in the garden (ofcourse followed by praises and treats).

In the car he settled down pretty fast. We got him a special belt for the car so he could sit with me. That was a good call, because he was really calm as long as I kept stroking him ;) I think he actually enjoyed the ride even though it is all very stressful for a rescue.

His estimated age is 1y8m and we named him Hattur, which means 'hat' in Icelandic. We chose it because of his markings.

In the car;
    IMG_20180610_150134667.jpg

In the yard;
    IMG_20180610_160449849.jpg

And now a few days of rest and getting to know each other.

Right now he's sleeping a bit. I sat down on his pillow tot lure him and he just placed himself against me for a nap. So I'm stuck, but that's very okay.

IMG-20180610-WA0016~3.jpg

#1 SinneJ, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  2. Animallover26

Animallover26 I am me.

Welcome handsome boy :)

SinneJ likes this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

He’s lovely! :)

Lucky boy - think he’s found the right home by the sounds of it;)

Bless him - he must be exhausted.

Hope you enjoy getting to know each other.

LinznMilly and SinneJ like this.
  4. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

He looks like he’s settling great :)

5. SinneJ

SinneJ PetForums Member

He is amazing. Right now he's taking some space, but after the day he had, it's a good sign he stayed so close to me for a good while.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Yes after a big journey they do need their space! Teddy was driven over from Spain to us, it took five days! He spent a couple of days being quite sleepy but he got over his journey quickly :)

7. SinneJ

SinneJ PetForums Member

So far the only ''bad'' thing he does (we don't get angry at him don't worry) is jumping onto things. He jumps on us, the kitchen counter, the sofa.... but we just keep pointing at the ground and praise him when he comes down. We also try to avoid the jumping by petting him before he gets the chance, but that's a lot of work :D he likes the attention.

But he seems to know the concept of going outside :). I know it's early to say that, but he really goes after 2mins outside and we now only take him out every 4/5 hours (the outside door stays open though).

My mom stayed with him during the night because I have an exam later and he settled down on his own pillow after an hour or so and pretty much slept through the night.

So it couldn't have gone much better I'd say!

Teddy-dog and Lurcherlad like this.
  8. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Sounds great :) Teddy used to counter surf when we first got him, not sure why. But he hasn't done that in months now so I'm sure yours will stop too :)

SinneJ likes this.
  9. SinneJ

SinneJ PetForums Member

Update for anyone who is still following:

We now take him out (so besides the playing in the garden) about 1-2h a day (usually divided between 2 or 3 walks) and you can tell he's much calmer now he knows he's not confined to the house. The walking goes pretty well considering he's not used to a leash. He won't pull much and will just stop and be a bit confused when he feels the leash is hindering him. We just call him and then he joins you in the right direction (that happens less and less every time).

We also put some treats in the crate yesterday and since then he suprisingly sleeps in there out if his own free will. We will leave the doors open for a few more days and then start experimenting with closing one of them and later the other one for a few seconds and so on...

The jumping on us and the kitchen counter is already less frequent (but still pretty annoying haha). The only thing we find strange is that he is a really picky eater. Some things he will go wild for and some things he won't even taste... so we now mix his dry food with fresh meat (the frozen prepared kind) and that is okay most of the time. But he will always leave some dry food.

He has now spent two nights downstairs without any of us sleeping on the sofa and that's absolutely fine with him, he sleeps on his own pillow. However, yesterday when he thought everybody had left the house (my mom was still sleeping when the three other family members left) he went completely insane :rolleyes: so we still have some work to do there. Hopefully the crate training can help us with that.

I try to make him sit for some chicken every so often, but the idea of rewards is not sinking in yet :Joyful we'll get there eventually. There is ofcourse a lot going on for him now. He also seems completely toilet trained and uses every opportunity outside.

Oh and he seems to be sneezing sometimes. We were having him checked out in a few days anyway, but hopefully it's just stress related and nothing to worry about.

So all things considered he is doing really well!

10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Sounds like it’s all moving in the right direction! :)

I’d start working on leaving him for a few seconds, several times every day to get him used to you coming and going.

SinneJ likes this.
  11. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Can I be really cheeky and ask a mod to move this to dog chat?
    Am sure more people would like to hear about him there? Not many people come to this part of the forum.

12. SinneJ

SinneJ PetForums Member

Yes you can, that's nice of you! :) thanks

lullabydream likes this.
  13. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Done

lullabydream and SinneJ like this.
  14. SinneJ

SinneJ PetForums Member

After a busy day of walking and playing and more playing, Hattur joins us in our weekend evening routine of fighting over the remote. My dad has won as you can see.

IMG_20180616_193634384.jpg

We have mastered 'sit' and 'down' is also taking shape, but I still have to tap the ground.

He really started playing with me yesterday, willingly giving me his toys to throw them or to play tug :) I have to film it for you guys some time, because the happy flapping he does with is front paws could win some kind of award, I'm sure.

edit: our vet checked him yesterday and he said he looks completely healthy! We are giving him nose drops for 5 days just in case the sneezing is from some allergy, but I haven't seen him sneezing in 2 days, so it's probably fine.

#14 SinneJ, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    PawsOnMe, FAW56, JoanneF and 3 others like this.
  15. SinneJ

SinneJ PetForums Member

As you can tell, he is very very unhappy here

IMG_20180616_203740052.jpg

PawsOnMe, FAW56, JoanneF and 5 others like this.
  16. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

He's lovely and he looks as if really made himself at home:)

SinneJ likes this.
  17. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums Senior

He is beautiful!

SinneJ likes this.
  18. fernlady

fernlady PetForums VIP

Beautiful boy x

SinneJ likes this.
  19. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Aww handsome boy, looks like he's well and truly settled in and is at home :Happy

SinneJ likes this.
  20. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Clearly having trouble transitioning into new home.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice