Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

We need your help

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by x_Bruno_x, Jul 24, 2009.

1. x_Bruno_x

x_Bruno_x PetForums Junior

HI me & my husband are new to this site but we need some serious help.
    We have a beautiful 10 month old lurcher staffie cross. he is the best, most dosile dog you could ask for but he has serious problems being left alone.

First time he was left alone for a few hours he ripped appart all my plants, my shoes, my loo roll.

Second time we left him in the kitchen he ripped the bin and he pooed.

third time he climbed the tops, ripped weight gain appart, he pooed & wee'd, ripped open a bag of cat litter and some orniments.

fourth time we left him outside with plent of shelter and water and the neighbours complained he barked all day.

today we left him in his cage that we just brought and he was fine when we left but he knocked his water over, pooed everywhere and was howling.

now he nos hes done wrong because he shakes uncontrolably when we come in. Hes a rescue dog weve only had 2 months and we dont no his history. Its got to the point we dont no what to do with him but we cant bare to part with him.

Has anyone got any advice?

thankyou

2. rona

rona Guest

Hello and welcome, you seem to have joined on a very quiet night, you are not being ignored.
    I'm sorry but I have never had this problem. I hope that over the next couple of days you will get some replies to your question

3. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

Maybe not the most adviseable advice... but hmmm.... let me stand corrected may someone else feel i should be. I have experience on the destructive side, however the route cause probably should be investigated by a behaviourist.

I have a very destructive dog, we've tried several things, gradually we're getting there, firstly we brought a baby gate to limit her areas of access, i.e. not getting to "important" stuff - this could work if you have a safe room he could hang out in. She soon learnt to jump our baby gate, so our next option was to keep the baby gates, but tie her to a long house line, so she has plenty of freedom, but not enough to cause carnage. Since we now have another addition of a rescue, we've found we can't leave both on a long line (they need time out it seems!), so we're now training them with Baskerville muzzles. Yes this may be mean, but we can't trust them too much together as they're still settling in, and secondly Indy is destructive to the point she causes herself serious injuries.

So i guess some things to think about....
    - Does he have Seperation Anxiety? If so there's plenty of things you can do to help this - others can be of more help here.
    - Do you give him enough exercise, so he feels tired enough to just nap when you're out?
    - Can you leave some entertainment? Kong, TV, Frozen treats etc
    - Would you consider possibly crating?
    - How long are you leaving him? Maybe that's stressing him out - concern you're not going to return.
    - Sorry quick edit to add - he may be settling into a routine - make sure everything is done the same, i.e. feed, walk, leave at scheduled times. When you leave make a particular routine so he knows you're leaving.

Think that's a start.... i would take my examples with a pinch of salt, but something there may be of use.

#3 r_neupert, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  4. x_Bruno_x

x_Bruno_x PetForums Junior

thankyou for your replys. we only brought a crate recently. hes good all threw the day and hes brilliant all the time except when we leave. tbh the mess is only minnor to me its more the constant barking as our neighbours arent very understanding i dont think.

weve contacted a behaviourist but they charge alot of money just to tell us what to do.. which i think we could learn from books and classes.

hes our first dog together so we are very new to this all.

x

5. rona

rona Guest

There are a lot of threads with ideas about this on here, have a look around, while you wait for replies :)

6. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

7. PennyH

PennyH PetForums Senior

Hi there
    We have 5 dogs and find that if one hears a noise and barks, they all join in. Our neighbours would not be impressed, so now we leave the TV on when we go out to reduce the chance of them hearing noises out side, and they are absolutely fine.
    Try leaving TV or radio on for your dog so he feels he is not alone. Also have you tried giving him a kong toy stuffed with food to keep him occupied, and maybe some other toys he can play with.
    What about a cardboard box filled with screwed up newspaper and with treats inside - he can take ages pulling it all out to get the treats. I know it will be a pain to clear up, but it should keep him busy!
    Good luck.
    Don't give up on him - it will get better.

8. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Hi. Congratualtions for taking on a rescue, it is such a rewarding thing to do.

Sounds very much like S/A. What is he like in the house with you? does he follow you around all the time? Does he get a nice long walk before being left?

REad the link sallyanne has sent. There are lots of things you can do regarding this, but you do need to be consistant. Staffi's are really people dogs and I have heard lots of stories about S/A with them.

Staflove has just fixed her problem with one of her dogs having S/A. Her dog had it really bad, PM her and she will be able to give you some tips.

Although it is certainly handy getting in a behaviourist, there are many things you can try before you have to get to this stage.

Welcome to the forum x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice