Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

we need advise quickly

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by millie, Jan 29, 2008.

1. millie

millie PetForums Newbie

Hi is there anyone who can give me advice about worms i have just bought a female scottie she has just reached 6 months old she started to go to the toilet and all of a sudden a jelly like substance appeared and with it several worms which was about 4 inchs long they looked like a thinner version of the garden worm well she continued to toilet quite a lot out in the end it was just a worm with clear jel fluid ejecting from her bottom we was all horrified as i have never seen this before in my life we gave her a worming tablet (shelleys all in one wormer )what we want to know is when is she safe to handle with children because since then we have read up on worms in dogs and its quite terrifying if you have young children but we have kept the children away its been a whole day since the incident please help she thinks she has done something wrong as she misses the children

2. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

as long as they dont let her lick their faces and they wash their hads straight after handling her they should be fine :), (I have seen this recently in a pup my mother bought it was awful to see and the pup was crying when they were coming out of the poor thing)

3. millie

millie PetForums Newbie

thank you for your reply we have been told drontal plus is a good wormer so we shall be using that next time and as she is only just 6 months old we will give it to her in a months time but she is full of life we also have an older dog we wormed her as well but she has never had a problem we use stronghold for her flea and worm infestation from the vet :)

4. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

she will be fine, my kids have been playing with my mothers pup and had no ill effecs, like I said the washing of hands and not allowing licking their faces should do the trick,

what is your other dog:) I have 4 myself :)

5. garryd

garryd Guest

drontal plus is a good wormer !:D

6. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

yes thats what I have been using lately :)

7. millie

millie PetForums Newbie

because the puppy is so playful she tends to put the childrens hands in her mouth and she does love licking them so its prity hard to stop her the children wash there hands but as you know children often put there hands in there mouth and there eyes so how many days would you say would be safe to continue happily as we did before this all happened :rolleyes:

8. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

I would speak to your vet regarding how long she may need to be kept away from your children, although it will be upsetting for them, their safety is paramount.

9. nici

nici PetForums Senior

i would also go to the vet, as the pup seems to have alot of worms you may need to get expert advice, the pet shop wormers arent as good as the vet ones and you need to get her weighed to get the right dose for her weight and age:) good luck they arent nice

10. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Hi, I agree with everyone here, Drontal is very good. It contains an active ingredient that pet shop brands dont!
    You may need to worm again alot sooner than you think if the infestation is bad.
    You should speak to your vet to see what you should do from here. :)

11. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

i would personally worm her again now ,with wormers from the vets

12. nici

nici PetForums Senior

yes i agree i use milbemax, drontol is no longer used in my vets, something to do with the funding of it not sure exactly what he meant. its availlable in shops now to

13. millie

millie PetForums Newbie

thank you everybody for your advice well i contacted the vet they told me to give drontal plus now even though i had given the shelleys all round wormer they said that the all round wormer would not kill of the infestation but drontal plus will kill instantly as soon as the dog has taken it they all so advised if there is young children around it would be a good idea to worm every month they said that you can give a worming tablet to a dog go to the park a couple of days later and they could get reinfested this is so shocking to us as we did not know the implications we also used demitrious earth (i think thats how you spell it ) in the garden after clearing the poop up this stuff is suppose to eradicate any left over deposites it is made of crushed shells of insects from the sea bed so hopefully we are on the road to happy healthy living :)

14. Poodle

Poodle PetForums Newbie

I always use Drontal....HOWEVER, last year we purchased a new puppy to join our family and duly wormed with Drontal. He continued to have an upset tum and after having his poo tested we were told that although he did not have any of the common worms he did have Giardia (probably spelt it wrong) and that we had to use PANACUR as Drontal would NOT kill this one! We now alternate between wormers so we cover everything!

15. Pamnhols

Pamnhols PetForums Newbie

If you know she has a bad case, I would worm her again 2 weeks after first dose probably with panancur liquid wormer which you have to give for 3 days in a row, our vet always recommends this with a bad case.

16. Tara30

Tara30 PetForums Newbie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice