Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

We Moved & Now the Cat's Mad

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by auntyems, Feb 28, 2008.

1. auntyems

auntyems PetForums Newbie

Hi, newbie posting as I'm going bonkers through sleep deprivation.

We have a 13 yr old moggie, who moved to Portugal with us 4 year ago. All fine until November when we moved from a house with garden to a 1st floor flat, with balcony.

Trotsky, the cat, has always been talkative, but now he's overwhelmingly so, and especially during the night. He has had the opportunity to leave the flat, during the day but doesn't do so, probably because the block of flats is not that quiet.

He throws up on a regular, 2 - 3 times a week, basis, but is eating well, (is probably overweight), using his litter tray and grooming. Tests at the vet are all negative for liver, kidney disease, leukaemia etc.

Using Feliway hasn't improved his nerves and he's very bad at taking oral medication!

Any ideas as to how I can get Trotsky to relax a little until we move again in the summer, this time to a house with garden!?

Thanks!

2. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

Maybe try sitting out with him at night for a while, he may prefer nighttime coz it's less hectic than the day,know it can be a pain but it's only for a while,as with all the recent changes he's probably a bit confused and unsure so a bit of your reassurance will go a long way:)

3. auntyems

Thanks!

We've tried putting him out, taking him out during the day, either staying with him or leaving him and he's none too happy either way.

I'm reluctant to have him go out during the night long term as the flat doesn't have private access and I really don't want Trotsky howling to come in at 4am!

Thanks again, will give it a shot.

Emma.

4. Can it be anything to do with his age or/and memory loss? May be he just getting confused?

5. auntyems

More than likely to do with his age, he's 14. He's never been restricted like this before, so it's odd. I never thought he'd take it this bad!

Anyway, we've been going out when the fancy takes him and it's cutting down on his 4am howling sessions.

We'll see.

6. Good luck to you both!:D

7. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

I love the title of this thread! :D
    Hope things settle down for you soon.

8. Let us know - how its going!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice