Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

We met a Ridgie!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rottiemum, Jul 18, 2012.

1. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

:D I was taking Baillie for her lunchtime walkies and there was a man with a dog in the distance. A big brown dog. Well, it was off lead, so I'm thinking, is this going to be ok?
    Well, the dog started to approach in a bit of a circle, the guy shouts, hey, don't you dare. The dog did not listen, so thankfully it was friendly!
    They were wagging tails and started jumping all around together. Very cute :D
    So I said to the guy, he's lovely, what kind is he? He says, Rhodesian Ridgeback. Now, I'm no expert, but there was not much of a ridge and he had white on his paws...was he maybe a cross?
    Either way, he was lovely - I do hope we see him again! :thumbup:

2. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

Coincidence! We met a friendly Ridgie yesterday too - very large 8 year old female. No white markings, but like you, no ridge. Had to ask what it was, and the owner said a Ridgeback with no ridge!

3. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

You can get them without ridges :)

Unfortunately some breeders kill the ones without ridges when they are young, which is disgusting.

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

You do get ridgeless RRs and white paws are pretty common too.

Dandogman; did you learn that from the Pedigree Dogs Exposed Programme? From the Rhodesian Ridgeback Club of Great Britain's Code of Ethics: 3) Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the Breed Standard should be placed in suitable homes.

5. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

That is horrible :(

6. Smudge72

Smudge72 PetForums Newbie

We've met a few Rhodesian Ridgeback's over the last few months, generally speaking they're big daft things.

I can only think of 2 anti social dogs over our usual walk, ones a Lurcher and the others a German Shepard tbh I think its more the owner through lack of training than the dog :frown:

7. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I haven't met any breeders that do I must admit and have met many very much alive ridgeless and mismarked ridgies - it is also against the code of ethics as posted above. I think it used to happen, but it shouldn't anymore.

8. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Yes.
    That is good that it doesn't happen now, The woman on that programme really wanted the ridgeless ones culled!

9. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

Glad to hear it! He was so lovely - a big bouncy boy :D

10. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

There are quite a few ridgeless ones about. Zimba has some white on his paws and some on his chest.

11. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

He was certainly big and strong-looking enough to be a full ridgie! ;)

Of course, Baillie being a long-haired rottie, I get a lot of 'what kind is it?' myself! :D

12. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I love it when people ask "what breed is that?" and I tell them (fair enough so far). Then, they look puzzled and say "How can you tell?" and I point....to the ridge...on Kilo's back.....:D.

13. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Or when they ask and I say 'rottweiler' and they draw back from stroking her with a horrified look on their face...:scared::scared:

14. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I'd probably ask; never met a long haired one! Wouldn't look horrified though :D.

15. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

You wouldn't have to ask, I'd probably recognise Kilo...LOL :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice