Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

We made it to Sweden!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sharloid, Nov 28, 2013.

1. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

It was a hard drive all the way from Sheffield to the middle of Sweden but we all made it in one piece. We had a two night stop at a cabin in Denmark then a 15.5 hour journey to the dog kennels. The dogs were brilliant travelers.

There are 59 huskies and 1 mal who we have been helping feed, walk, poo pick, and harness as well as clearing up a huge pine tree that fell in the storm here. Sadly I haven't managed to take many photos as we've been hard at work and have been having very early nights. Hopefully I'll get more pictures of all the beautiful dogs soon.

Our 3 dogs are staying in an outdoor kennel whilst we work and are inside with us all the other times. Broder especially is having a hard time being away from us and is being rather vocal (he's noisier than their 60!) but he is getting better.

[​IMG]
    Denmark on the way up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Oh wow! what are you doing there - apart from the obvious something with sledding dogs? sounds amazing.

3. JenKyzer

JenKyzer PetForums VIP

Wow :D Sounds fab! Glad you all arrived safe and it sounds&looks like your having an amazing time. Really looking forward to more pics!

4. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

Oh yeah, I should've mentioned that!

We (Huskybob and I) are kennel hands for the season at a working Siberian Husky kennel in the middle of Sweden. :D

My camera has decided to change settings so most of the pictures are blurry but hopefully I can fix that for future pictures.

5. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

Amazing, despite Broders uncertainty about kennels he seem to really enjoy the snow and the freedom :D

6. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Looks fab! I miss you guys, Yla's going to be huge when you get back!

7. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Awesome! more info please - how long are you there for? do they pay you? how did you end up doing it? sounds fascinating.

8. Mumtomaddog

Mumtomaddog PetForums VIP

Glad you all arrived safe and sound.. you're gonna have a blast! :) Yes i'm jealous. ;)

9. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

There's a 4 week intro period to see if everything works out but if we like it and they like us then we'll be here until the end of April. We get accommodation and one meal and then some spending money. I saw the lady mention something on a working dog group on FB, found her blog and then saw the ad for volunteers. We had to wait a couple of weeks for Yla to be able to enter Sweden and then we were here! It all happened rather quick.

It's only 3:20 but it's almost dark and I'm ready for bed! :eek:

10. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

We weighed her before we set off and she's about 15/16kg so she's already huge!

Broder definitely loves the snow. I hope as we get into a routine he'll learn to settle. :)

11. Jazmine

Jazmine PetForums VIP

Wow, that sounds amazing. Are you getting any time off to explore with the dogs?

Is there someone keeping an eye on things at home? I panic if I so much as leave the house for a long weekend! :eek:

12. DollyGirl08

DollyGirl08 PetForums VIP

Blimey Yla has grown! She looks huge.

What an amazing opportunity! I bet you will enjoy yourselves here. Looks a bit chilly though lol.

13. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

Yes and yes. Apart from feeding the dogs we have this weekend off so we're going to go to the local Christmas market.

It's not too cold, it's hovering around freezing. Last week it was -14 which was a bit nippy.

14. tiatortilla

tiatortilla PetForums VIP

That sounds great, how long are you there for?

Yla looks like a proper little dog now, can never get over how quickly puppies grow!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice