Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

We know BSL doesn't work

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MiffyMoo, Jul 6, 2017.

1. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

But these figures are insane. One can only hope that it will spur the government to change the law, but I'm not holding my breath :(

Judging by the response I received from DEFRA, their heels are well and truly dig in and if they do make any changes, I fear it will be to add more breeds to the list, rather than overhauling the whole law

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....ive-dog-attacks-every-week-in-leeds-1-8633830

2. sidevalve

sidevalve Banned

Since when did reality get in the way of a good story. TBH if we were to use statistics then the number of people attacked by or even killed by other people would result in a human ban. Unfortunately dogs [and dog owners] are an easy target - those that should be culled [the dog 'owners' that require a dog to bolster their own pathetic egos and see a dog as a status symbol in their own sick world] will simply ignore any laws anyway.

LinznMilly and DaisyBluebell like this.
  3. lunathehusky14

lunathehusky14 PetForums Newbie

It's a 'quick win' for the government. The real problem is lazy or evil owners that turn their poor dog into a scared and angry creature, but to address that problem would take time, money and expertise - three things the government doesn't want to invest. With BSL it looks like they're tackling the problem, but it's just like sticking a bit of sellotape on a bust pipe.

4. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

I think that blaming lazy or evil owners is somewhat simplifying it. A lot of people just don't understand about dog body language, threshold etc. There are so many times you hear about a beloved pet "suddenly" turning.

As is lamented on here every time it happens, everyone is in such a rush to euthanise the dog, no tests are done, so nobody knows what caused it. Could the dog have been in terrible pain? Was it just a badly bred dog? Etc.

I think it's Vancouver who got rid of BSL but introduced much stronger laws, such as it's now illegal to keep a dog tied up in the yard, and much stronger penalties for bad owners. I'll try and find the stats, but apparently their bite rate has fallen massively, despite a lot of people rehoming pitties there

Aahlly, Lurcherlad, Sairy and 2 others like this.
  5. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

My homeland is finally getting rid of BSL :) And I must admit I really did not expect something as 'progressive' (not sure if that's the right word...) to be done there... But here we are, developing new ideas...

MiffyMoo likes this.
  6. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I was wondering why British Sign Language had suddenly stopped working...... :Sorry

Burrowzig likes this.
  7. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

I cannot see the British Government ever admitting that BSL was a mistake, they are too arrogant and there are no enough votes in a U-turn on this particular issue either. You can imagine the sort of nonsense rags such as the Daily Fail would churn out if they did scrap BSL!

Lurcherlad, Phoolf, Sairy and 2 others like this.
  8. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Highly unlikely to have change, after all some people on this forum still support BSL and label certain breeds dangerous by default.

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Those figures are horrendous. I really do not think that BSL will be removed but I do think draconian new laws will come in that will really only make life difficult for the responsible dog owner.

It is not just attacks, it is the noise nuisance from dogs as well and with so many dogs around it just gets a bigger and bigger problem.

Very minor in the scheme of things but I parked outside my local shop today with the dogs in the car. There is a cafe with outside tables opposite and someone was there with a dog. I was mortified to hear my dogs barking while I was in the shop but another dog came by on the lead barking and the dog at the cafe was barking non stop with its owner making a phone call. Then the owner went in the cafe and left the leg of a chair through the handle of the flexi lead, right beside the road. So the other poor customers sat outside had to listen to 4 dogs barking (I hold up my hands, my dogs should not have been in the situation where their barking could cause a nuisance) and they might well have had to listen to a screaming dog being run over if it had lunged towards the road and either the chair went with it or the flexi lead brake failed.

10. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

Exactly. It's not a vote winner, so they don't care

cbcdesign likes this.
  11. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

True :(

12. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

I'm shocked that someone would assume that their dog is safe, being tied to a chair with nothing to weigh it down. I was in the pub with a friend a few months ago, and had the dogs tied to my chair. When I went to the bar I asked him to sit on the chair. Next thing I know, I turn around and see him being dragged across the pub in the chair. I almost peed myself laughing

Lurcherlad, Blitz and lullabydream like this.
  13. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Gosh glad you didn't tell me about that before you left me in charge of your hooligans! ;)

lullabydream and MiffyMoo like this.
  14. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

Hahaha, you're so tiny, they'd have you off across the park before you had a chance to yell help!

Sairy likes this.
  15. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Haha that would have been great entertainment for everyone!

MiffyMoo likes this.
  16. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

You know when you read an article recently on dog attacks and think it's an ideal time to share because it's so fitting but it's frustrating because because you can't find it...am having one of those moments...

It echoed in some respects the article not strictly BSL... However why dogs may attack and what has been discussed many times before there is usually warnings prior that have gone unnoticed...
    It also discussed how people can be totally oblivious to children and dogs, and typically a young child without being educated by a parent, or somebody else that when a dog growls or shows teeth isn't actually smiling....

17. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

This reminds me of an argument I had with a woman because her 5 year old decided he wanted to cuddle Lola, who was very sensibly lying under my seat. I asked him not to and told he should always ask the owner first. Mother went crazy and threatened to report Lola for being dangerous. Long argument later, her whole point seemed to be "he's 5". Brilliant, well I'm sure you've drilled into him not to dash into the road, so why not take the same precautions with strange dogs?

Aahlly, cbcdesign, Burrowzig and 4 others like this.
  18. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

It's weird though it's adults I have problems with...have mentioned it many times how agile some frail looking adults can be when they swoop down to stroke one of the minibeasts without saying a thing...

Now I just have to get Maisie out of 'all people do not want to say hello to you're ramming kibble down her throat seemed to work currently. But on a tight path she did make herself known to a couple of local travellers by pushing her head into them, lucky for them after apologising continuously they gave her lots of fuss...with me still apologising.

MiffyMoo likes this.
  19. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Silly humans! After seeing how many people wanted to fuss them when I was there I can well imagine that situation.

MiffyMoo likes this.
  20. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

I had one person tell me "fluffy dogs don't bite" :Angelic

DaisyBluebell and Sairy like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice