Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

We just saved a life :)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Aurelia, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

We were sat talking and I saw a Sparrow Hawk swing passed the window and appear to drop a squawking ball on the grass in the process. I got up and looked to see a Goldfinch on the lawn looking a bit poorly :( I sent hubby straight out to the poor thing, when he tried to pick it up the first time it tried to get away. But gave up and it's poor little head went limp.

He brought it inside quietly and handed the little thing to me. I sat for about 20 mins cupping the little one in my hand just as you can see in the video.

As soon as I felt a rush of life and some flapping around in my hands I realised the little one was just about over being stunned.

So outside we went :)eek: I was only in my nightie too! It's amazing what and adrenalin rush can do!), and the rest can be seen in the video.

We saved a life today! If we hadn't gone out and rescued the Gold finch quickly, the sparrowhawk would have gone straight back for it.

I might not be a mum celebrating Mothers Day today, but we may just have saved a mum to be :)

Please excuse my mumbled words :lol: Couldn't exactly reshoot though :p

[youtube_browser]RiZw92NeDDA&hd=1[/youtube_browser]

I know nature is nature and all that and usually I wouldn't intervene, but I couldn't bare to see that happen today.

2. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Well done, if you hadn't gone out and got him, the Hawk would have come back him.

3. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

awwwww well done :)

4. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Hun, did you read my last sentence? We have the Sparrowhawks raise young here every year. They bathe in our pond and I watch them raise their babies every year, they are very much part of our little wildlife family ... I'd never intentionally do them any harm. I never normally intervene as I said. But this little one was dropped right outside my window. I couldn't sit and wait for him/her to come back and pull the poor thing apart right in front of me.

Besides I can assure you the SH has been back since and taken another meal. But this time it flew off with it successfully.

:(

EDITED to add:

Here's some pictures of our residents :)

This one was taken in 2006 when we first had them use the pond to bathe:

[​IMG]

Then the year after:

[​IMG]

Finally one from 2009, this one is taken of the Sprawk watch the birds at the feeding station:

[​IMG]

I feel rotton now :(

#4 Aurelia, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
    dobermummy likes this.
  5. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

No I haven't witnessed it yet, but I can't sit at the window watching like I used to :( so they probably have. They do seem to love the pond!

I did have something odd happen a while back though ... I was watching through the window one morning and a Wood Pigeon flew down and sat on the bird table. Seconds later a female Sprawk flew down and sat beside it :lol: They just sat there together for a good while too! Never seen anything like it.

6. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

:thumbup: Well done, bless its little wings :) Its a pity the SH did'nt fancy a Sea Gull there are plenty nesting round here at the mo :rolleyes: what a racket & the mess :tongue_smilie: never mind getting dive bombed because they dont like spots :blink: Brill pics to :D

7. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

And the finches' chicks...what about them? Bit early for Goldfinches to have chicks yet mind.But I don't see that a hawk is more important than any other species.

8. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

But as you say that's nature ... I would imagine a large percentage of our other birds are the same :(

9. Nature had no part in this one:D That lucky birds number just weren't up! god took it upon himself to give him some extra flying time!:D:D:D
    lol
    DT

My OH reckons our future is mapped out for us! and nothing we do can change that!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice