Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

We have our first foster dog!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Rusty Walker, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Rusty Walker

Rusty Walker PetForums Junior

We are fostering a terrier x for a week as the family who were coming to see him on Sunday couldn't get up for the snow. I am sure it isn't always going to go this well but up to now it his gone fantastic. His only fault is that he chases the cat but we have made some inroads on that already. Pumpkin, our cat, is sound and unflapable so a good one to train him with.

Badger has been a bit sulky and went into his crate for an hour for a think and came out having decided that Buster was top dog. Am still rotating them behind the baby gate on the kitchen as we have had a few grumbles but with 3 terrier crosses in a room that's not surprising :huh:

2. Rusty Walker

OK. I talk too soon :blush:

My Badger has a bad habit of 'badgering' other dogs. He wants to lick them and is very in their face. Buster the foster does not like this. He gives loads of signals, shows his teeth, then gives a growl, then a snap and then war. Badger doesn't seem to be taking the hint. I'm seeing this as a bit of a learning curve for Badger as well.

We've also just had a fight when we got some raw out on the side. Badger always then sits in the kitchen till he gets it but Buster didn't want him near the food and had a go. He hasn't broken skin or bitten. Is this still ok. I'm happy to continue but would you if the dogs are fighting, even if it isn't full on?

thanks in advance.

3. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

I probably would not have allowed the dogs to be together to ,uch this early on, and would certainly have removed Badger the moment the other dog growled or showed his teeth.

4. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

Keep your dogs separate around triggers like food and toys. Keep your own dogs to their routine and put the foster behind the baby gate when food is around.

If Badger isn't getting the message from your foster's body language you need to show him. When your foster is uncomfortable remove Badger.

5. Rusty Walker

thank you for the replies. I can see that I have rushed this a bit too much.

They all walk outside and play beautifully together. Buster is only with us for a week so I will keep them seperate a bit more and put Buster behind the gate a bit more. It's weird because Bo (bitch) who I was worried about being arsey is fine with Buster and he with her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice