Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

we have been keeping keeping goldfish for the past 5 years

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by vicky10, Jul 28, 2009.

1. vicky10

vicky10 PetForums Member

but the last one has now died. I am now thinking of keeping tropical fish are they difficult to keep?????

2. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

They're supposed to be eaiser to keep and hardier then goldfish. I find the danio species to be pretty much bomb proof.

I am sure someone with more experience then myself will be along later with more information for you :D

3. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

See i find tropical fish hard to keep than goldfish & other cold water fish ...but thats just me i have had my coldwater fish for about 7 years now ..i love em ;)

But trop fish are great..:D

4. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

In general tropicals are slightly hardier than goldfish and are also less demanding when it comes to the space required by these fish, however the term 'tropical fish' is very broad and there are quite a few species that are only suitable for experienced fishkeepers. The secret to success in all branches of the fishkeeping hobby is research.

Before we recommend anything however we will need to know some information on the tank size, your budget and what fish tickle your fancy.

5. vicky10

vicky10 PetForums Member

we have a 23L tank at the moment.
    I am not hot on the names of tropical fish all i know are the angel and anenome fish :blushing:.
    I am a childminder so would like something that would be interesting to the children :D

6. Angel44

Angel44 PetForums Member

I have both and I do find that the tropical fish are easier to care for. My goldfish are mucky pups! The only tropical fish I have had a problem with are the guppies, I just don't seem to be able to keep those for some reason. For the last 7 years I have had tetras (neons, black widows), corydoras, plecos, silver sharks, hatchet fish, angels). I would love a marine tank one day too.

7. vicky10

vicky10 PetForums Member

o.k i am going to have to google all of those fish to see what you mean :D:confused:

8. vicky10

vicky10 PetForums Member

i was thinking about a "nemo" fish are they difficult

9. Nicci

Nicci Guest

They are marine fish, totally different set up needed :)

10. vicky10

vicky10 PetForums Member

aahhhhhh see now i am getting more confused. :confused::confused::confused:

11. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I have marine fish, tropical and coldwater fish (not all in the same tank mind!) out of all of them I find the tropical are the easiest to keep marine tanks can take years to establish, marine fish can be pretty expensive to buy and you have to be prepared for losses in the early weeks/months of setting them up.

I'd personally go for tropical fish although marine fish are very nice too look at it's a pretty expensive hobby! Goldfish I've found tend to produce more waste, so more time spent on cleaning them out every few weeks via doing water changes.

12. vicky10

vicky10 PetForums Member

o.k thats sorted it then, i cant cope with lots of deaths etc, the kids wont have nemo then :).

13. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

I'm glad that you're not going down the 'nemo' route, I've had four different reef systems in recent years and they've all been fairly hard work. I've already wasted a lot of money due to my mistakes in the learning process. :eek:

For a 23 litre tank I would suggest a single Siamese fighting fish (Betta splendens) or if you can find them, Microrasboras, these are absolutely wonderful little fish. :D

14. vicky10

vicky10 PetForums Member

thankyou, again i'll google them just to see what the ***** you are going on about:confused::confused:
    thanks again

15. vicky10

vicky10 PetForums Member

those are really pretty thankyou and they come in soooo many different colours

16. SeaThreePeeO

Just a word of caution with some of the angel and tetra fish. They can be very picky about their water quailty.

Glowlight Danios are great for a splash of colour and pretty much indestructable.

17. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

And would also be too big for a 23 litre tank, unless she intends to upgrade. ;)

18. SeaThreePeeO

Oops sorry! For some reason I get it into my head they everyone has humongous tanks :blushing:

19. vicky10

vicky10 PetForums Member

nope i do not intend to upgrade, it took me ages to persude the oH to get me this tank LOL. I will be happy with just a few

20. wolves fan

wolves fan PetForums Newbie

I Have Tripical And Goldfish My Tropicals Are Really Easy To Keep

In Tank
    1x Silver Shark
    2x Black Mollys
    2x Neon Tetra I Think

And My Goldfish

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice